Alford Crest

Alford Town Coat of Arms

Alford’s cost of arms is impressive in its complexity.  It holds many symbols about the history of the town.  The lion at the top commemorates William de Welle, Lord of the Manor, who obtained a market charter in 1283.  The book it is holding represents the grammar school and the seven lozenges are from the traditional arms of St Wilfrid, patron saint of Alford’s Church.

From education and religion we turn to agriculture.  At the top of the shield, the five-sailed windmill stands for arable farming and the two bulls heads for dairy farming.  Alford used to have a bull fair and cattle market.
The broad black band is taken from the arms of the Christopher family, to whom we owe the Manor House.  The black lion below has been taken from the arms of Lord Burghley, by whose influence a charter was given to the grammar school in 1576.  The background of wavy blue lines represents the Wold Grift, from which Alford derived its name.

The motto “Foursquare to all Winds” comes from the Lincolnshire poet, Alfred Lord Tennyson’s Ode on the Death of the Duke of Wellington.
Rights and ownership of the Coat of Arms was granted to Alford Urban District Council in 1965 and on 16th April 1975 by Order of Her Majesty these rights and ownership were officially transferred to the Alford Town Council.

Any organisation wishing to use the Crest must obtain written consent from the Alford Town Council to do so.