History of the Village

now private dswelling

Photo by Parish Plan

Amber Hill Church

Amber Hill covers an area of approximately 5,500 acres and according to some is so called due to the amber-like gravel upon which the village stands. 

Records show that in 1881 the inhabitants numbered 607 with 529 in 1911, with the 2001 census indicating that there were 106 households with 268 residents.  The present adult population is 250. 

Up until 1880 Amber Hill had been part of Holland Fen’s ecclesiastical parish, and included Algarkirk fen allotment, Sutterton fen allotment and a detached part of Dogdyke.  On the 20th December 1880 Amber Hill, an extra-parochial area, was formed as a new civil parish.

In more recent times, local facilities such as the number of phone boxes, the post office and shop have all closed, and even the Methodist Chapel and Anglican Church, St John the Baptist are no longer used as placed of worship, since being converted to residential properties.  The Wesleyan Methodist's had a chapel build here in 1846, rebuilt in 1877 and the Primitive Methodists built a chapel here in 1892.  At one time there used to be six public houses in the village, mainly to serve farm workers who used to harvest cereal crops by hand, which was very thirsty work.  Now all the pubs are closed or demolished.

  • The central focus in the village of Amber Hill and area of regeneration is the cluster of houses on Sutterton Drove situated around the primary school and the newly developed playing field.  There are a variety of successful small businesses showing off the talents of residents in the area such as a dog training centre, riding stables, a turkey farm, garden machinery centre and several plant nurseries.

 

Grade ii listed

Photo by Mr John Scarbro

Drainage Scoop Wheel

In Amber Hill and the surounding area there are four Grade II listed buildings, mostly farmhouses built in the late 18th century or early 19th century.   Also listed is the Draining Scoop Wheel and Channel on Claydyke Bank built in the 19th century of red brick, cast iron and wood. 

 

 

 

 

Toftstead County Primary School

The School was built in 1881 to hold up to 137 children and in 2005 only 43 students were on the school roster.  The school was officially closed in July 2010.

The parish notice board is located at the front of the building and the local war memorial was relocated here when the church closed.  (see separate page for further details)

Names as on Memorial
1914-18

George Bush        James Pocklington
Joseph Casey       George Robinson
Percy Chapman    George Smith
Herbert Clark        George Westmoreland
Frank Holmes       Herbert Smith
David Proctor        Herbert Williamson
 
1939-45
Thomas Wright      Norman Hasnip
William Seymour
 

Jubilee Park Playing Field

Jubilee park

Photo by Parish Plan

Park

The playing field in Amber Hill opened in June 2005 after five years of planning and fund-raising.  There are recreational facilities and a small range of play equipment for all age groups.  It has a small area of skate ramps, an area for small children to play, a basketball and netball area, a football pitch, plety of seating and even a small garden for residents to enjoy.  The playing field committee, consisting of seven local Amber Hill residents, are always looking for support and ideas for fundraising so that new equipment may be bought and with the aim that the field is utilised by local families as much as possible.

 

Amber Hill Church

St john the baptist

Photo by Mr John Scarbro

Grade II Listed Church

The once Anglican church on Claydyke Bank was dedicated to Saint John the Baptist and dates back from 1867.  It is in neo Norman style with red brick with a welsh slate roof.  It was made redundant on the 9th November 1995 and then later adapted for private dwelling use.

Although the Grade II building may no longer be used as a place of public worship, there is still public access to the churchyard and interments continue to take place.

 

Pumping Station

The pumping station, operated by the Black Sluice Internal Drainage Board is situated at the junction of Claydyke Bank and the Boardsides (A1121).  It was constructed in 1966 as part of a land improvement scheme and it controls the water leaving drains and dykes in an area of 3500ha bounded by the Skerth Drain and Kyme Eau to the north and River Witham to the east.  Before the construction of the pumps, a gravity drainage system often left the lower fen areas of Amber Hill waterlogged and flooded.

 

 

Compiled from the Amber Hill and Holland Fen with Brothertoft Parish Plan (December 2005) together with further archive material put together by Joan Barnes (Parish Clerk).

 

Updated July 2014