Aubourn Hall

Aubourn Hall

Aubourn Hall

There has been a house on this site since the Middle Ages. At that time it would have been a moated house constructed of wood.

The present Hall was built in Tudor times and then was rebuilt by Sir John Meres and designed by architect John Smythson between 1567 and 1628. The Hall is of brick construction, three stories high with several bays of ’squarish cross’ windows. Both externally and internally, there are features that seem to post date 1628 implying further modification by Sir Gervase Nevill and others, the drawing room and staircase for example. Chimney pieces in the study and dressing room by contrast seem to be architecturally Elizabethan.

The interior contains a notable oak carved staircase and panelled rooms.
The gardens include lawns, borders, rose gardens and ponds.


For much of its history, Aubourn Hall has been owned by the Nevile family, who first came to Aubourn in 1386 and they still own most of the land in the village. However Aubourn Hall has its place in history as the place where Methodism began in Aubourn. The Lamb family were a great stimulus to Methodism in Aubourn and it benefited enormously from their support.

The Lambs were tenants of Aubourn Hall in the first half of the 19th century, and were early and influential converts to Wesleyan Methodism, at a time when there was no resident clergyman, and only fortnightly services at the old church. In 1797, a small Methodist society was established by a local preacher Mr Hannah, who came to Aubourn for occasional preaching. In 1802, Mr Dixon of Bassingham obtained permission from William Lamb of Aubourn Hall to preach ‘in the house of one of his tenants in the village’.

A small society of 12 villagers was organised and Mr Lamb was made leader of the class a post he continued until his death in 1826 aged 56. The first chapel was also built at his expense in 1805 and a Wesleyan Sunday School commenced in a large room in Aubourn Hall, although it later moved to the chapel.