The Buildings in Billingborough
Fine old buildings
There are some fine old buildings around the Spring Wells. On the east side the Medieval Grade 1 listed Parish Church of St. Andrew has a spire which soars to 150 feet with pinnacles linked to it by delicate flying buttresses. It is built with an unusually positioned tower at the western end of the northern aisle. Inside there are four great arches on either side of the nave and an impressive clerestory above. Behind the church is the Jacobean Church Farm with its typical stone walls, mullioned windows and clay pantile roof.
On the north side behind the stoner wall of Church Street you can see the Old Hall. Dating from |Jacobean times around 1620 this Grade 2 Star listed building is now a home for the elderly. In the 18th and 19th Centuries it was the home of the Toller family, local benefactors whose educational foundation still makes local grants to school leavers. Several stones from the nearby dissolved Sempringham Priory can be found in the Old Hall.
On the south side also behind a wall is the Victorian Vicarage and next to the church on the east side is the New Spring Wells Medical Practice which serves scores of villages for miles around.