Village sign

Photo by M Hallam

Village sign

Contact information for this parish can be found on the West Lindsey District Council website.

The Parish consists of Bishop Norton, Atterby and part of Spital in the Street, with about 140 properties in total. Within the bounds of West Lindsey District Council.

 

Bishop Norton village is a rural community, which lies near Caenby Corner midway along the A15 between Lincoln and Scunthorpe, to the west of Market Rasen and east of Gainsborough.  The village is listed in the Domesday Survey of 1086 as Nortune though it was land belonging to the Bishop of Lincoln – that is Bishop’s Norton, the name “tun” meant a village enclosure with entrance gates across its roads, and Nortune was the north “tun” of the Bishop.

 

St Peters Church is at the heart of the village, a Grade II listed building.  The War memorial takes the form of a Lych gate as you enter the Church.  The Lynch gate contains two tablets commemorating both WWI and WW2.

 

The name of Spital is of historic importance where there was a coaching inn called ‘Spital Inn’ about a days journey by cart from Lincoln on Ermine Street, built by the Romans (A15).  A hospital (which the name Spital is derived from) and a chapel existed here from time immemorial.

 

Atterby is about ½ a mile from Bishop Norton being a smaller community of some 15 properties, many of the residents are involved in local farming. The enclosure of Atterby took place in 1769-1770 and shows Atterby was originally part of the neighbouring parishes of Snitterby and Waddingham.