Careby Church

Census

  • The parish was in the Corby sub-district of the Bourne Registration District.

    Church History

  • The Anglican Church is dedicated to St. Stephen.
  • The church is an Early English style, but the tower is considered Norman.
  • The church was renovated in 1855-6.
  • The church seats 150.
  • There is a photograph of St. Stephen's Church on the Wendy Parkinson Church Photos web site.
  • Here are two photos of Saint Stephen's Church, taken by Ron Cole (who retains the copyright):

Careby st. stephen

Careby st. stephen

Return to top of page

Church Records

  • Anclican parish registers exist from 1561.

  • Kelly's 1913 Directory of Lincolnshire places this church in the Ness rural Deanery.

Civil Registration

  • The parish was in the Corby sub-district of the Bourne Registration District.
  • Check our Civil Registration page for sources and background on Civil Registration which began in July, 1837.

Description and Travel

Careby is both a village and parish which lies just east of the A1 trunk road, south of Little Bytham and just north of Stamford. The West Glen River passes down the west edge of the parish. The parish covers about 1,450 acres.

ManorsKelly's 1913 Directory of Lincolnshire refers to "some remains of the ancient mansion" of the HATCHER family.

  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
Census
Year
Piece No.
1851 H.O. 107 / 2095
1861 R.G. 9 / 2315
1871 R.G. 10 / 3311