Churches of St Nicholas at CS and NOC
St Nicholas Church, Carlton Scroop
The earliest parts of the Church pictured above date back to Anglo Norman origin with the remaining fabric being of the Decorated style, with most of the Church completed by the end of the 14th Century.
- The main features are as follows:-
the traceried stone font which is more than 500 years old
- the pulpit is Jacobean and dates back to the 17th Century
- the South aisle window is an early work of Kempe (1837-1907)
- above the main alter the east window is a fine specimen of the architecture of the reign of Edward 111. It is known as the Newmarch window and displays a fine and rare example of 14th Century medieval stained glass (1307-1310) depicting two figures kneeling each holding a shield.
- there are a beautiful set of handworked kneelers depicting the arms of many of the Saints throughout the ages.
St Nicholas Church, Normanton on Cliffe
High on the Cliff road between Grantham and Lincoln it stands, with fine views of a countryside rolling away, green and gold. Its ancient church by the roadside is largely 13th century work, with a deep-splayed lancet at the west end of each aisle and 4 more lancets in the chancel; but the south arcade has 2 big round arches from the close of Norman days, the tower is 14th century, and the clerestory 15th.
The clerestory is enriched with battlements adorned by shields and roses. The tower has a row of curious animal heads below its 15th century parapet, and a west window graced with a profusion of ball-flower ornament and a smiling bishop’s head of stone looking out from the tracery, where there are still a few fragments of old painted glass.
This is a simple house of prayer, its walls plain and unadorned by monument, its treasures few. The plain rounf font is over 500 years old and the pulpit with sounding board has been here since “Stuart times”.
(from “The Kings of England” series by Arthur Mee – County of Lincolnshire. (1949))