History of Caythorpe
A short history of how the village came to be where it is.
The parish of Caythorpe and Frieston is situated in the County of Lincolnshire on the East Coast of England at approximately 53°1'36"N 0°36'21"W. The City of Lincoln (Roman Lindum) is some 15 miles to the north.
The origin of the name Caythorpe is possibly derived from the Old Norse, Kati's (a Viking personal name) outlying farmstead/hamlet (ON.thorpe). Caythorpe's Saxon name was believed to be "Kari-torp" meaning the settlement of the 'happy man'. It is not unusual for Old English and Viking elements to be intermingled reflecting the interesting mixture of peoples settling in the area. The Domesday Book entry in 1086 refers to the village of "Catorp." By then it was a settlement held by a Norman lord, Robert de Vesci, had two churches, a hall and a park, and was the proud owner of half a mill, which it shared with 'Fristun'. A map of 1576 shows the village name as 'Cathorpe', and eventually, after a few more spelling changes, it became 'Caythorpe'.