18th Century Well Houses

At the south end of Blind Lane stone wellhouses cover the two old parish wells, a reminder of a time when water had to be drawn up in a bucket and carried home. In 1896 the older of the two wells (flat top) was closed because of its dangerous condition. In the same year a pump was attached to the other well (coned top). In 1905 this well was deepened and it remained in continuous use until piped water was laid to standpipes in the village in 1932.

Photograph of 18th century well houses, coleby

18th Century Well Houses