Sign 2008

Photo by Barnes collection

Freiston Village

Welcome to the Freiston Parish Council website

PLEASE SEE THE NEW SECTION ON THE WAR MEMORIAL (NOW GRADE II LISTED)

Freiston is situated 3 miles southeast of Boston, both sides of the A52 road to Skegness and goes all the way to the wash, with rich fertile agricultural land covering about 5,200 acres of low, well-drained Fenland.  The parish now comprises of the village of Freiston together with the hamlets of Freiston Shore, Scrane End, Haltoft End and Freiston Ings.  The adult population of Freiston is 830,

The main features of the village are the Norman Anglican church dedicated to St James, which was restored in 1871; Freiston Shore Nature Reserve; Danny Flear Community Centre; Church Hall; Enterprise Park; Post Office and General Stores; Butchers and three Public Houses. 

Two miles south of the village is HM North Sea Camp which originally opened in 1935 as a Borstal.

Notable properties (all now in private hands) in the parish include Whiteloaf Hall, Coupledyke Hall, The Priory, The Plummers and Peachy House.

In 1972, 2004 and 2010 Freiston won the Best Kept Village Competition for medium sized villages in Lincolnshire and in 2012 were awarded 1st place in the Past Winners section.

Freiston Parish Council has nine councillors and the council meets most months on a Tuesday evening at The Danny Flear Community Centre.  The Parish Council celebrated its Centenary in March 1995 with a function at the Freiston Centre.  The Parish Council is elected to serve the residents of the village and welcomes ideas and suggestions from the local community.

The village sign was erected in April 2008, standing in the centre of the village, opposite The Bull & Dog and near the Church on Church View.

NEW INFORMATION BOARD FOR FREISTON   (February 2016)

Freiston Parish Council have funded and produced a new information board for their Parish.  The information Board is sited at the entrance to St James’ Church and highlights places of interest within the Parish, along with a brief history. 

The illustrations on the board were produced by Debbie Mitchell from Beach Hut Studio, Church Road, Freiston  (see attached photos)

 

Thank you for visiting the website, we hope you find it useful.