History of the Villages

Our village Mascot - The Provost

Grimoldby & Manby are separated by the B1200 road, known as Manby Middlegate. It is possible that both Grimoldby & Manby had their origins in the Anglo-Saxon period. They were both Danish "by" ending. This suffix denotes a farmstead or village which were part of Danelaw. The Doomsday Book gives it a Danish suffix but this is not conclusive proof of origin, The existence of Saxon settlements to the north and south of the two villages must be considered.

Education up to 1866 the school was at Manby & Grimoldby Old Church Of England School, then it changed to Grimoldby & Manby National School under The National Society for Promoting Education of the Poor.

In 1874 The then Rev. Thomas Wood, who was the school manager, he distributed copies of the Agricultural Children’s Act, which stated that no children under the age of 8 should be employed in agricultural work, under the age of 10 in gangs or under 12 unless he or she had attended school immediately prior to the employment for at least 150 attendances. If the child had reached the Fourth Standard and received a certificate then he or she could leave. The Rev, wood was not very popular when many farms and houses depended on the employment of young people. The children attended at irregular intervals so the school never reached it's capacity. Children had to walk from villages such as Stewton, Legbourne & South Cockerington. Children were often sent home on wet days soaking wet . Many had no shoes and coughs and colds were common. Attendance was also affected seasonally especially during harvest, sowing and weeding times when the older children were required to help in the fields.

In 1894 the school became a Voluntary Aided Non- Provided School with the church providing the buildings and LEA the teachers books, furniture and apparatus. There was no glass in the windows in the school until 1872 when the Rev. Waite of Grimoldby paid for a plate glass to be fitted to replace the boards and so let in light. The school became known as Grimoldby County Primary School and stands at the crossroads on Manby Middlegate serving Manby & Grimoldby & also children from other villages.
When Manby airfield was active the school had to expand rapidly as there were about 350 on roll and extra space was found by using the village hall and local shop.

Between 1938 - 1974 the village was home to the Royal Air force base, many of the houses were built for the RAF personnel and the roads were named after aeroplanes e.g (Valiant Road).

The building and subsequent closure of The Royal Air force at Manby in 1974, has been a most significant factor and many people have moved to the area and bought properties, the airbase has now been sold for commercial use. The Headquarters of East Lindsey District Council at Tedder Hall is on the old airbase. There are also many businesses on the old airbase. The airfield has mainly been returned to agricultural use with businesses occupying the old \hangers.

The Village Hall which serves both Grimoldby & Manby was built in 1983 on the site of the old building, which was built in 1924 the foundation stone was laid by the Rev.FD.Hall the rector of Manby, it was a wooden structure bought from the government and served nearly 60 years.The Parish Council meet there every third Wednesday in every month except August. Many other functions take place at the Village Hall.

Transport
Transport was either by foot or horse and cart until the opening of the railway line from Louth to Mablethorpe.
The Railway Act of Parliament, promoted by the Directors of Louth and the East Coast Railway, received the Royal Assent on the 18th July 1872 for the construction of a line from Louth to Mablethorpe. It opened in 1877. Grimoldby had a station, a typical example of Victorian railway architecture. The station was the childhood home of the late Donald Pleasance, the actor, whose father was the Station Master. Young Donald had his first acting with the Grimoldby Players. The Grimoldby station was unusual as it was within the village. Children could make daily journeys to Louth School. Building materials and fuel could easily be bought in. Mothers could take their children to Mablethorpe for a day out at the seaside. For almost 100 years the railway served the community, but the people did not count on Dr. Beeching. As head of state owned BR he ordered the closure, this took place on 5th December 1960. The line was quickly dismantled and some of the land sold off for housing and farming.

Nowadays most families have a car if not 2 or 3 cars in a family household. There is a bus service that runs frequently from Mablethorpe through Grimoldby to Louth.

Village shops & Industry
All villages had to be self sufficient selling their excess at the market in Louth .At the top of Tinkle Street at the junction of Middlesykes Lane stands a large house which one of the rooms was converted into a shop. The Post Office was at Rosedene ( now 46, Tinkle Street) At what is Orchard Park was Mr. Jackson's Forge. The local blacksmiths were important people in the village shoeing horses and repairing the machinery used in agriculture.
At the corner of Mill Lane stood the village workhouse, it disappeared when the union of all workhouse in the early part of the last century amalgamated. The building then became a cobblers.

In Grimoldby & Manby now
Smiths Corner Stores which has recently been refurbished it is a Grocery Shop & Off Licence.
The Manby Post Office & Shop.
The Lancaster Inn (formally The Manby Arms) is currently closed
Bamberina's which is an Italian Restaurant.
Watts Garage which sells, repairs & MOT cars.
Bed & Breakfast at the Manse, Middlesykes Lane.
There are many businesses on the Industrial Estate at Manby
Marsh Medical Practice

Churches
St Mary's Church Manby
St Edith's Church Grimoldby
The Wesley Methodist Church