HISTORY - Hagworthingham

A series of historical anecdotes about Hagworthingham and district.

families getting into the horse drawn cart for their annual outing.

Photo by unknown

Primitive Methodist outing, 1920's style!

OUR HISTORY.

Primitive Methodist Chapel outing

A villager's memory of a time gone by but thankfully not forgotten.

Childhood memories - 

Every Sunday we went to Sunday School at the Primitive Chapel on high Street. The site which is now purely a vegetable plot. In May each year our Anniversary was held. The Chapel was always overflowing with proud parents, relatives and friends who came to hear us recite our poems which we had learnt over the weeks before.

For this occasion we were dressed in our Sunday Best, for girls - pretty dresses, straw bonnets, black patent ankle strap shoes with white ankle socks, most of which were bought specially for the day.

On the Monday following, we went round the village on a horse drawn trailer which was decorated with lilac and foliage. The horses adorned with caddice, brasses etc. and to complete the set up an harmonium on the trailer, played by “Granny Ellis”, to accompany our singing. On our return to the Chapel we were treated to a wonderful tea in the schoolroom.

Followed later by games on the field opposite, now the site of Wold View properties.

This completed a very exciting weekend enjoyed by all.                                                                             Margaret Waters


Statistics:-

In 1563 a return from the Archdeacon of Lincoln records the village having 46 families.

The 1676 census shows that there were 131 people in the village. By religious persuasion there were 105 Conformists; 26 Non-Conformist; and no Papists in the village.

In the survey of the Diocese 1705-1723 there were 60 families including one Quaker and an Anabaptist. For part of this time, in 1718, the Rector was Thomas Ashcroft. He then moved on to live in Woodhouse, near Mansfield. In his absence a curate, who lived at Authorpe, was employed with a stipend of £30 a year. He was also curate for Brinkhill and Swaby. So, it's not all that new having a Rector travelling around the district from parish to parish!

 Hagworthingham Census results 1801 – 1911

Year

Inhabitants

1801

376

1811

442

1821

533

1831

593

1841

600

1851

651

1871

612

1881

484

1891

477

1911

350

Peter Skipworth

...........................................................................................

Anecdote 1:
Did you know that in the 10th Century William de Gaunt owned land in Hagworthingham and he gave some to the Abbott of Bardney Abbey? The Abbott claimed the right to erect gallows in the village because although the Monks were powerful they were always under threat, and gallows may have deterred their enemies. Be warned!

Peter Skipworth

Anecdote 2:
There is the site of a Roman settlement at Furze Hill, it is seen as crop marks and was possibly also a villa site. The main feature is a double ditched track-way, with a number of boundaries running at right angles. The Romans invaded Britain in 55BC and a few years later they moved towards conquering the north. The local tribe who would have lived in Lincolnshire including Hagg was the Corieltauvi. There is no record of resistance by them and they would probably have thrown their hand in with the Romans!

Peter Skipworth

Anecdote 3:
In October 1643 the Royalist and Parliamentarian armies met in battle at Winceby. The Royalist army under  the command of Sir John Henderson, and Sir William Widdrington were leading a force to relieve the siege at Bolingbroke Castle. They were met by a Parliamentarian force led by Oliver Cromwell and Sir Thomas Fairfax.

During the battle Cromwell's horse was shot from underneath him, but he still went on to defeat the Royalist army. In the rout after the battle the Royalist soldiers scattered all over the Lincolnshire Wolds and one of them called Miles Hope staggered into Hagworthingham with serious injuries of which he eventually died, he was buried in the church grounds by the people of the parish.

Peter Skipworth

Hagworthingham . . . . . .

How the village name was derived through history.

In 1086 the Domesday Book named the village as Hacberdingham. By 1115 it had become Hagordingeheim. The name was built up with several elements - 'Hacberd' (became Hagworth) was the name of the Saxon lord who owned the land, and 'ing' means ‘the followers of’. The 'ham' part means a homestead or estate. Therefore the name means - 'the homestead or estate of the family and the people of Hacberd'. Hagworthingham!                 Peter Skipworth

                                ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~