About Halton Holegate
Halton Holegate is a lovely village situated on the edge of the Lincolnshire Wolds, which is designated an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. It lies one and a half miles from the small market town of Spilsby, 18 miles from the larger town of Boston, 11 miles from Skegness and 34 miles from Lincoln. In the midst of these larger towns – each of which has much to offer - Halton Holegate was first mentioned in the Domesday Book in 1088. ‘Halton’ is taken to mean a farmstead in the nook or corner of a field and ‘Holegate’ means road in a hollow – an apt description of one of the most notable part of the village. Indeed, locals pronounce it as “hollerget” and on some church plate was engraved as Hollowgate
The focal community points of the village are:
- The Methodist Chapel, which hosts many community activities
- St.Andrews Church was here at the time the Domesday Book was written, around 1080/1086; the present church probably built between 1350 and 1400
- Halton Holegate Church of England Primary School, built in 1847 and currently with 77 children on role. The 160 years celebration was commemorated by a Diary compiled by Pat Franks being printed, following generous sponsorship by local businesses, organisations and people (a copy of is available at Spilsby Library)
- The Bell Inn – a 16th century pub, with more recent connections with Squadron 207 who were based nearby in the 2nd World War. Most Friday evenings there is live music.