Our history

The name Heydour is of uncertain origin. The first part may come from the Old English heg or "hay". Heydour is not listed in the 1086 Doomsday Book however Aisby is.

In a field west of the Church at Heydour are traces of a large Castle, supposed to have been built in the reign of Stephen by one of the Bussey family, who were seated there in around 1609.

Heydour was the dominant village until it was wiped out by the plague!

Not to be outdone things “historic” traces of a Roman Villa were discovered near Aisby.

Census records of 1841 and 1871 confirm that the principal landowner was John Archer HOUBLON and in 1913 the principal landowner was Col. George B. ARCHER-HOUBLON.