The Parish of Osgodby
The administrative civil parish of Osgodby is made up of four villages – Kirkby, Osgodby, Kingerby and Usselby.
Kingerby, once a larger community, is now a sparsely populated area reaching down to the river Ancholme at its western boundary. St Peter`s church (13th century), now in the care of the redundant Churches Fund, is possibly the third church on the site of what was a Roman camp.
Moving eastwards you’ll come to the village of Kirkby, with its 13th century church dedicated to St Andrew (although the majority of the Chuch is 13th century, it's understood that the Nave was rebuilt in 1790). Once boasting its own village green, village school and fish and chip shop, this linear village is now a quiet place to live.
Osgodby, now the largest of the four villages, is a long linear village to the south of Kingerby beck, and leads on to the A46 trunk road. Buildings of note are the Wesleyan chapel built in 1897 (now a private house) and a row of cottages built around 1840 by local builder Nash of Market Rasen. The most interesting building is the Roman Catholic chapel built in 1793 to comply with the anti-Catholic penal laws, which were then still on the statue book. Today the village school educates around 80 local children, there is a village shop and pub and the village hall, sitting on the edge of the playing fields plays host to many village events, ranging from the Horticultural Show to the Pantomime.
On the eastern boundary of the parish is the tiny village of Usselby. Here, at the end of a narrow lane off the A46 stands St Margaret`s church, believed to date from medieval times, but remodelled in the 18th and 19th centuries.