St Margarets Church

Flower Festival 2008

Wild flowers- By Pupils of Gipsey Bridge Scool

Five In The Fens Flower Festival 2008

This information was produced in the form of a booklet for visitors to take away with them from the St Margaret's Church Langrick

Brief history: - taken from various sources, including Kelly’s Directory 1900, Langriville Parish Council records dating from 1894, Church records & the internet, photographs by Jim Roberts 2007.

The Church at Langrick (not yet named in 1900) is an edifice of red brick, authorized in 1812 and erected in 1828 under the enclosure act, and consists of a Chancel, Nave, West Porch and a Bell Cote containing one bell, there are 120 sittings.

The windows pointed in the late Georgian way but with wooden Perp tracery. Big flat brick frieze under the eaves. Simple painted pews, the panelled ends finished with Gothic arches.

The Church was dedicated to St. Margaret of Scotland April 20th 1922.

The register for Births & Deaths in the parish dates from 1831; and Marriages from 1837, the first Birth/ Christening on register is that of Mary Susanna Kirk on October 9th 1831, daughter of Thomas & Mary Ann Kirk, the service was conducted by W. Robinson thought to be a Methodist Minister. The first Burial on register is sadly that of the infant William Damon on 10th December 1831, shortly following this entry is a second entry on 30th December 1831 noting the burial of Sarah Damon aged 25yrs although no reference is made to any connection between these sad events I feel there could well be.

The living of Wildmore is a perpetual curacy, net value £317, with a house, in the gift of the Bishop of Lincoln and held since 1877 by the Rev. William Fitz – Harry Curtis. (Kellys directory 1900)

In 1812, the people of this area were formally incorporated into the township and parish of Langriville (or Langrickville) and were part of the Soke of Horncastle in the South Lindsey District.

Records show the Population for Langriville thus 1881, 505 inhabitants. 1891, 397, 1911, 398, today 2008 the electoral role shows 333 registered electors, giving an estimated population of 500.

The Church was restored and redecorated in 1935, with further works being carried out in 1968.

At certain times of the year the grounds and cemetery adjacent to the Church is a wonderful sight with the bluebells and primroses.

The Church grounds are the site of the Parish War Memorial the names of the men who gave their lives for us during WW1 are as listed William Alfred Kemp, Charles Mableson, George Frederick Smith, Herbert Smith, Charles Herbert Ward, James Ward, William Henry Wilkinson, Albert Henry Wright, Francis Ralph Gilliatt, John Atkin, Herbert William Cammack, Edward Gillaitt, Walter Graham, Frederick Hovlden, Charles Jackson & William Jackson. WW11 Raymond Manning & Stanley Doughty.