Laughton History

A brief history of Laughton

Reference to Laughton can be found further back than the Doomsday Book where Wilgrim had full jurisdiction over the estate before 1066.

In 1086, Blanchard held half a carucate of land in Laughton, Audley and also Nettleham. The value of his estates in the three villages in King Edward's time amounted to 40/-. (Doomsday Survey).

William Blanchard married Alicia, daughter of William de Waterton of Waterton, and their daughter Matilda married John de Alayonor d’Alenson (now Dalyson). This John d’Alyon succeeded Blanchard.

Estates of Laughton took the Blanchard arms. There is a hatchet in Laughton Church with the arms, incorporated now with the Dalyson arms.

When Sir Roger D’Allison died on 24 July 1566, his lands passed to his brother Sir William D’Allison. The D’Allison family had a long running feud with the Meres family of Scotton, both families claiming ownership of common land between Scotton and Laughton. There are records, but no true documentation, of a great manor in Laughton called Ladygarth.

When King James 1 was on the throne, Sir Roger Dallison (the younger) fell into arrears with his accounts. Indications are that Sir Roger was a victim of the notorious intrigues for which the court of King James was famous. Sir Thomas Meres claimed Sir Roger had ‘wronged the King of 9000 li’ and as a result Sir Roger D’Allison was thrown into Clerkenwell prison where he died a dishonourable death in 1620 and was buried on May 13th in Clerkenwell.

In 1620 Dame Anne Dallison, widow of Sir Roger, petitioned the King for speedy hearing of the claims made against their estate. In 1621/22 Sir Roger and Dame Anne’s son Sir Thomas Dallison sold the Scotton estates to Lord Cranfield.

Lord Cranfield sold his estates to Sir Arthur Ingram, also a Royalist, whose son Sir Arthur the younger inherited. During the Commonwealth he suffered confiscation of property and died at Temple Newsam in 1655.

The Lordship of Laughton came to the possession of the Ingram family, later Viscounts Irvine. The first in the family of eminence was Hugh Ingram, a wealthy merchant of London who died in 1612. His eldest son Sir William Ingram was secretary to the Council of the North. William’s son Arthur, was Sheriff of Yorkshire in 1621 and later represented York in Parliament.

The Meynell-Ingram family came into possession via the Hon Frederick Meynell in 1904, through the death of his sister, Mrs Hugo Meynell-Ingram. Frederick assumed the name Meynell by Royal Licence in February 1905. Frederick was the 4th son of Viscount Halifax.

The lands of Laughton estate have been sold this century to private landowners. The Common still belongs to the Meynell Estate but is leased to the Forestry Commission.

(further information can be found on the Laughton Community web site)