Laughton Forest

Owned and managed by the Forestry Commission, the woodlands consists mainly of conifers but silver birch trees are also present. Once part of coversands heath, patches of heather may still be seen today producing a carpet of purple throughout the forest in late summer

The Forestry Commission leased a large area of the Laughton estate land in the mid 1920's and began planting and has ever since.

The woodland was orginally planted with pines in 1926 on an exposed hill that was windswept sandy waste and heathland.

A steady planting programme followed and in 1948 thinnings started. The last main planting was the result of freak gales in 1976 which devastated some 400 acres of forest.

About 300,000 trees were replanted mainly pines, but there were also broad leaved trees. The major task of recreating a large part of Laughton Forest was started in the Queen's Silver Jubilee year, and the Forestry Commission decided to name the 80 acre block on the Laughton to East Ferry Road, "Jubilee Wood".