Playing Field

Welcome to Ludford Parish

Ludford is a parish positioned at the summit of the Lincolnshire Wolds to the north end of the River Bain which rises as a small spring andflows to the river


Witham at Dogdyke. The parish includes the hamlets of Great Towes and Thorpe le Mire (also known as Thorpe in Mire). Ludford village consists of the ancient villages of Ludford Magna and Ludford Parva and is bisected by the road between Louth and Gainsborough, now the A631. Positioned at the summit of the Lincolnshire Wolds.

The RAF opened an airfield called "RAF Ludford Magna" in 1943. They flew Lancaster bombers out of the base. RAF squadron 101 have a reunion every year in early September. Although the field had concrete runways, mud was always a problem at the base. It soon earned the nickname "Mudford Magna". The field was closed in October 1945. In 1956 the field was used as a Polish transit camp. The field was re-opened in 1958 and the next year it became a Thor missile site.


The field was closed again in May 1963 and sold in October 1965. A memorial to No. 101 Squadron dead was erected in 1978