Old Police Station

Old Police station

Photo by John Turner Photography of Market Rasen

Old Police Station

The Old Police Station was built between 1848-9 at a cost of £2,000.00. It was built in response to a petition to the Lord Chancellor showing the need for places to lock up the growing number of vagrants. It was used as a Magistrate’s Court and police station. The records show that the key offenses dealt with at that time were civil administration, vagrancy, bastardy and assault. It continued to be used right up to 2005 when the police moved to their new premises.

The building was purchased by the Town Council in 2005 with a grant from the Regional Development Fund and has been refurbished to comply with its Grade II Listed Building status. The intention was not only to ensure its care and place in the community but also to provide the council with offices and storage space. A long term tenant was secured for the southern section of the building whilst the centre section was developed for the council offices. The old magistrate’s room and court are still being refurbished but will be available for groups to hire in the future.