Location and History
Marston is situated in the south of Lincolnshire, six miles north of Grantham and less than two miles from the A1. The population is 309 and the village has its own thriving church and primary school. The village hall and playing field are shared with the neighbouring village of Hougham. Marston is a rural village surrounded by farmland.
Marston, from the Old English mersc+tun, meaning 'farmstead by a marsh', is a village by the River Witham with cottages, almhouses, a 14th century church and a fine manor house. Marston Hall, a Grade II listed building, was burnt by Cromwell's troops in 1643 and did not undergo restoration until the 19th Century. The current building retains the central hall of the original Elizabethan 'E-plan' house built by the Thorold family who have owned the estate since the 14th century.