Marton and Gate Burton, Lincolnshire

The pleasant small community of Marton and Gate Burton is situated 6 miles south of Gainsborough and some 12 miles north west of the cathedral city of Lincoln.

The village of Marton has developed around a point where the A156 (which forms the main street) meets the ancient Roman way Tillbridge Lane, close to a wide loop in the River Trent.   This was once a strategic crossing point for Roman legions heading north and west, but nowadays quiet country lanes from the village provide access to pleasing riverside walks.

Marton’s most prominent and oldest building, the Church of St Margaret of Antioch, is a mixture of Anglo-Saxon and Norman styles with an 11th century tower built in a herring bone pattern. The chancel contains an unusual small crucifix,

The community has a wide range of facilities, including a Wesleyan chapel, which, until recently, had been in constant use as a place of worship since 1814, and a Primary school, which consistently receives an “outstanding” Ofsted rating. There is also a car maintenance garage, a pub, a guest house and a shop. The village hall, which stands next to a large playing field, children’s play area and bowling green, is home to a wide range of activities, including a playgroup.

There are about 275 properties in Marton, and the neighbouring village of Gate Burton has about 16, the most notable being the impressive Gate Burton House, which stands in attractive parklands. Gate Burton shares the facilities of Marton, but has its own Anglican church, St. Helen’s.