Beacon's of Light

Photo by Matthew Thompson

Beacon's of Light

HOME

Welcome to the Metheringham, Sots Hole and Tanvats Parish Council Website.

100 YEARS OF REMEMBRANCE

WWI MEMORIBILIA EHXIBITION IN THE CHURCH HALL

SATURDAY 10TH NOVEMBER 10:00 – 18:00

SUNDAY 11TH NOVEMBER 11:25 – 18:50

 

SUNDAY 11TH NOVEMBER

·       10:00 – SERVICE AT ST WILFRID’S CHURCH

 

BATTLES OVER - BEACON, HIGH STREET

18:50 – WELCOME

18:53 – TRIBUTE TO THE MILLIONS

·       18:55 - THE LAST POST

·       18:56 – NAMES OF THE FALLEN

• 19:00 - WWI BEACONS OF LIGHT

• 19:05 - RINGING OUT FOR PEACE

• 19:05 - CRY FOR PEACE AROUND THE WORLD

 

Metheringham is a medium sized village, 10 miles south east of Lincoln, England, with a population of approximately 3650 and an electorate of 2865. It probably dates from Saxon times and is recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086 as having a church, homestead, manor, watermills and several farms.

The original name of the village was Medrichesam and is probably Saxon in origin, relating to 'Medrich'. This is a first name used by the Alamanni peoples from Germany. Medrich, with his companions - 'es' being plural, made his homestead here - 'ham', in about 500AD. Therefore you have Medrich(es)ham - or Medric's homestead. This area may have been settled by the Romans, as 'ham' is believed to indicate a Roman villa or settlement taken over by the Saxons after the Roman rule had finished. The village became 'Metheringham' sometime in the second half of the 13th century during the reign of Edward I. The earliest surviving document relating to Metheringham is dated 24th June, 1314 when Edward II ruled England.

The village was virtually totally destroyed by a great fire in July 1599 with only a few dwellings surviving. The fire is reported as having started in a 'kennel' or street gully which ran the length of the village and raged out of control for several days.

The main village church, St Wilfrid's, dates from around 1600 although parts of the tower are Norman in origin dating from around 1180-1200.

Historically, the village has met the needs of the local farming community but it now acts mainly as a feeder village for Lincoln and provides housing for many RAF personnel serving at the nearby bases