Morton by Gainsborough is not an ancient parish of Lincolnshire. It was formed in 1846.
- Prior to 1846, Morton was a township in Gainsborough parish. At that time, the township was much larger than the civil parish formed later. Morton was incorporated as a separate civil parish, carved from Gainsborough, on 29 December 1846.
- The railway came to Morton about 1848.
- The parish was part of the Gainsborough sub-district in the Gainsborough Registration District.
- The North Lincolnshire Library holds a copy of the parish census returns for 1841 through 1901. Census piece numbers, where known:
R.G. 9 / 2409
R.G. 10 / 3446
R.G. 12 / 2635
- The first Church of Saint Paul was built in 1845. The ecclesiastical (and civil) parish was formed the next year, when the church opened.
- The Church of Saint Paul was rebuilt in 1891 to replace the earlier church. Built of stone, it has a chapel dedicated to St. Hugh on the south side.
- The church seats about 450.
- Here is a photo of the church, taken by (and copyright of) Wendy Parkinson:
- The parish register dates from 1847.
- Burial register entries for St. Paul (1847-1900) are included in the National Burial Index (NBI).
- The Lincolnshire FHS has published several marriage and burial indexes for the Corringham Deanery to make your search easier. Remember that many entries prior to 1846 for this community will be listed under Gainsborough.
- The Wesleyan Methodists built a chapel here in 1840, the Primitive Methodists in 1894.
- The parish was in the Gainsborough sub-district in the Gainsborough Registration District.
- Civil Registration started in July, 1837.
Description and Travel
Morton by Gainsborough is both a parish and a village 1.5 miles northwest of Gainsborough on the eastern bank of the River Trent, about 145 miles north of London. The parish covered about 860 acres in 1913. Until 1846, the parish was part of the Gainsborough parish. If you are planning a visit:
- The village is described in Kelly's 1913 Directory of Lincolnshire as "picturesque". It is the northern "suburb" of Gainsborough in modern times, lying just west of the A159 as it snakes north out of Gainsborough.
- Visit our touring page for more sources.
Land and Property
- In 1871, the principal landowner was Mrs. Tennyson D'EYNCOURT, of Morton Hall, who was lady of the manor.
- From 1900 through 1913, the principal landowner was Sir Hickman Beckett BACON, baronet, of Thonock Hall, who was lord of the manor.
- Morton House was the residence of Edward PEARSON in 1900. It sat on 10 acres and had a small lake nearby.
- The national grid reference is SK 8191.
- An Ordnance Survey map will have a scale of 2.5 inches to 1 mile.
- There is a monument in St. Paul's Church to Lieut. Edmund BACON of the Kings Royal Rifles, who died on 13 August 1886.
- There is a monument in the same church to Lieut. Cyril German DANKS of the Manchester Regiment, who died in South Africa on 31 May 1900.
- The name Morton is from the Old English Mor+tun, or "Farmstead on the moor or marsh". In the 1086 Domesday Book, the village is given as Mortune.
[A. D. Mills, "A Dictionary of English Place-Names," Oxford University Press, 1991].
Politics and Governance
- The parish was in the ancient Corringham Wapentake in the West Lindsey district in the parts of Lindsey.
- Wapentake - A political unit similar to a "Hundred" in Anglo-Saxon England, The Wapentake is a collection of local parishes. The term is used in former Danelaw region of England and derives from words meaning "show your weapon". The idea was that all in favor of a resolution would raise their sword, ax, etc. to show agreement. Although the term is no longer in use, you will find old directories prior to 1900 which are organized by Wapentake.
- The parish was also in the ancient Soke of Kirton in Lindsey.
- Soke - A political and religious unit similar to a "Hundred" in Anglo-Saxon England, the Soke is a collection of local parishes which have been granted some kind of exemption by the King. It comes from the Old English socn, which is the root for our modern word "seek". Although the term is seldom in use these days, you will find old directories prior to 1900 which are organized by Soke, such as the Soke of Horncastle.
Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.
- The Common Lands were enclosed here in 1801.
- Joshua TYLER, who died in 1708, left an endowment which was used for poor relief.
- Samuel SANDERS and Mrs. Ann DUDDICOM left an annuity which contributed about £30 in 1913 for poor relief.
- The parish joined the Gainsborough Poor Law Union on its creation in 1846.
- Joshua TYLER, who died in 1708, left an endowment for the education of 20 poor children.
- A Public Elementary School was built in 1843 (to replace an earlier structure) and enlarged in 1871. In 1882, an infant school was added.