Photograph of Mumby Church

Home

Mumby is a small village situated on the A52 approximately mid-way between Mablethorpe (8 miles) and Skegness (9 miles).

There is a church, one pub and a model car museum. A Weslyan Chapel and a Primative Methodist Chapel once existed in the village but both are now private residences.

The first written record of Mumby is an entry in the Domesday Book of 1086, the village being known as 'Mundebi' or 'Mundesby' which means Mund's settlement. A 'by' on the end of a place name is old Viking for a village or small hamlet.

In 1841 the village was known as Mumby cum Chapel and was larger than Skegness, with a population of 786 (Skegness had 316). On the 7th of November 1895 the parishes of Mumby cum Chapel were legally separated, the latter becoming Chapel St Leonards.

Mumby also had a post mill at the top of the village (which meant there was a bakery) a low mill by Langham Lane junction and 2 public houses, of which the Red Lion is the only survivor.

There were at least three shops, one being a butchers and abattoir. The owner of the abattoir was known to arrive home by pony and trap from Alford market quite inebriated (the pony having made its own way home!).

Behind the Red Lion is a fresh water spring which provided a source of water for the villagers before mains water reached Mumby.

The village school (now demolished) was situated in Washdyke Lane and provided education for the local children. There was also a railway station just over a mile away west of the village at Thurlby and was reached by Coots Lane as well as Long Lane (B1449) but was closed in 1970.