Local & Family History

Also see attachments below of other Historical articles, if you have any History of the area you would like to share please contact Sheila Pearce on nspcpearce@btinternet.com

REMEMBERED

information on those who served/lost their lives in the First and Second World Wars and Northern Ireland - researched, collated and kindly provided by Mrs Valerie Soderberg  - see PDF below.

A Short Guide to North Somercotes Landscape

The villages of Somercotes lie on a strip of marine silts laid down as the sea gradually rose following the last ice age.  Use of these marshes was first made from clay lands which lie immediately inland – animals grazed and salt was made, but settlement was probably not permanent.  By the 10th century the marshes were being colonized and settled.  Somercotes was recorded in Doomsday – the elements in the place name indicate the nature of early settlement this was the place of Summer Huts (Sumor, cot).  Villages grew up on the coastal strip (the causewayed tracks along the Marshland can be established from Ordnance survey maps) the low lying area adjacent to the clays were fenland and unsuitable for settlements.

North Somercotes appears initially to have developed to the north of the salt-mining sites around what was recorded in Doomsday as Mare haven (lying on the Saltfleet-Somercotes boundary behind Locksley Hall – the name mar is derived from old English (ge)maere meaning a boundary).  Salt making ceased when the haven silted up by c.1200.

Porters Marsh – Some two thousand acres of mature salt marshes were granted in 1632 to Endymion Porter one of the grooms of the bedchamber to Charles I, and were soon reclaimed.  In order to compensate the communities of North and South Somercotes for their loss of common marshland, Porter agreed to the construction of the forty foot way to the sea at Stonebridge to allow fishers and fowlers to access the beach and further allotted five hundred acres to the commoners.  In 1634 some of the reclamation works were broken down by inhabitants more serious disturbances occurred in 1641 in the wake of major drainage disputes in the Fenland; again in 1650 Porters land was occupied by the villagers. 

Public access to the foreshore at Stonebridge salt marsh development (samphire beds).  400 acres of fitties in Somercotes and Grainthorpe was reclaimed by Henry Pye (father of Victorian song writer Claribel) in 1843.  In the 1850s Pyes Hall was built and demolished in the 1960’s his marine mansion built near the sea bank from which in July 1868 he made his celebration flight to avoid his creditors by rowing into the Humber and catching a boat.

Donna Nook so called after a shipwreck on the beach.  Parish registers note the burial of bodies drowned at sea.  Many remember the Anzio wrecked at Donna Nook in  April 1966. There was a small life boat station established in 1829 until 1931.

Text taken from a booklet produced by the Parish Council and written by C.Sturman