North Thoresby is a village in Lincolnshire situated between Louth and Grimsby, approximately 8 miles from each.
Population - 2,062 (in 2010)
The area is essentially agricultural but the majority of residents work in Grimsby and Cleethorpes or in the industries situated on the Humber bank.
North Thoresby is a popular and attractive village with good facilities including two pubs (with restaurants) a number of shops, a modern primary school, surgery and pharmacy, a village hall and facilities for football, cricket and bowls.
The church St Helen’s is on a site where Christian worship has continued for more than 1000 years. The Methodist chapel, school and school house , were built in the mid 19th century. The school and house have since been converted into a community centre known as The Wesley Centre.
The village has regular bus services to both Louth and Grimsby.
Like many villages in the area the name Thoresby finishes with the letters BY – this indicates the influence of the Danes.
Just outside the village evidence was found that the Romans grew grapes or other fruit in the area.
This article is taken from the Wikipedia, the on-line free encyclopaedia - www.wikipedia.org