Parish Map

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Orby like this:

ORBY, a village and a parish in Spilsby district, Lincoln. The village stands 1¾ mile N E of Burgh r. station, and 6 E by N of Spilsby. The parish contains also Ashington-End and Habertoft; and its post town is Burgh, under Boston. Acres, 2,088. Real property, £4, 337. Pop. in 1851, 405; in 1861, 357. Houses, 81. The decrease of pop. was caused by the introduction ofagricultural machinery. The property is much sub-divided. The manor and most of the land belong to the Right Hon. ..

R.N. Hamilton and the Rev. R. G. Walls. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £180. Patron, the Bishop of Lincoln. The church was built, about the end of the 13th century, by a prior of Thornholm; was repaired in 1848; consists of nave, S aisle, and chancel, with a tower; and contains an ancient octagonal font. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, and charities £4.

Orby through time

A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Orby has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of East Lindsey. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Orby and units named after it.