Potterhanworth occupies a position where the Lincoln heath to the west merges with the fens of the Witham Valley and lies close to the Roman Car Dyke.
There was a settlement on the existing village site during Roman times. The village was named Haneworde in William the Conqueror’s Domesday Book, but by 1254 it had become Hanesworth, from the Old English “Hana’s” meaning farmstead. The prefix Potter appeared in 1334 and related to the mediaeval pottery which existed at the time. For several centuries the village name was Potter Hanworth and remained so until the 1950’s, when the two words were joined together in its current form.
Potterhanworth has a primary school and a public house situated in the centre of the village. Also in the centre of the village is St Andrew’s Church and the village Memorial Hall. For a village of its size, Potterhanworth benefits from good sporting and recreational facilities. The village has a large Parish Council maintained playing field and a modern sports pavilion.
A refurbished and modern play park was reopened in the Autumn of 2008 and a small skateboard park was opened in the Spring of 2007.
Potterhanworth has two small village greens. On one there stands a bright coloured village sign and on the other the War Memorial.
Potterhanworth was voted for the first time the Best Kept Village in Lincolnshire (Class II) in 2007, an achievement the residents and Parish Council are extremely proud of.
There are many good walks in the area, and Potterhanworth features on the Spires and Steeples Arts and Heritage trail, a waymarked walk from Lincoln Cathedral to St Deny’s Church in Sleaford.