CHURCHES AND CHAPEL

A picture of St Peter's Church

Photo by Alwyn Sentance

St Peter's, Ropsley

St Peter's Church, Ropsley

No one can be really sure when a church stood for the first time on the site of St Peter’s in Ropsley. However, architectural styles indicate both Saxon and Norman work. The church is clearly mentioned in William the Conqueror's doomsday survey.This at the very least, bears witness to Christian worship being practised here for around a thousand years.

St Peter’s has grown in size and seen the addition of many different architectural styles since the work of those original constructors. The plain English tower was erected in the 13th century with the decorated broach spire being completed in 1320.

In 1483 the south porch was built by Bishop Foxe, a man of Ropsley origins. Village people will be familiar with the latin inscription over the porch. "Hoc nec vade via, nisi dicas Ave Maria" - "Go not away unless ye pray an Ave Maria".

St Nicholas, Sapperton

The parish church, dating from the 12th to 15th century with 19th century alterations, is dedicated to Saint Nicholas. The font dates from the 12th century & the tower from the 13th.