Pictures of bygone days

 
Village centre

The village centre around 1905

 
Kenneth Green and David Capes collected around 750 pictures for the Village Hall Association which show people, places and events from the 1880s to the 1980s.  Some of them were taken by John Henry Grayson Clarke, a well respected photographer with a studio in Scotter for many years until he moved to Brigg around 1910.

More images have since been added to the collection, all have been scanned and the long process of indexing has started.  They are of the people and places in Scotter, Scotterthorpe, Susworth and Cote Houses.

Currently 73 of these pictures can be viewed in this section and more will be added. 
 

Anyone wishing to learn more about the history of Scotter would be recommended to read 'Scotter - our village' by Olive and Kay Edgar.  This very detailed and informative book was first published in 1983 and reprinted with updates in 1999.  Copies can be purchased from Scotter Post Office on The Green.  Where appropriate it has been used as a reference source for compiling this section of the website.

Should someone have a copy of a work by Dennis Fenwick entitled 'And then there were eight', please get in touch as it is believed to have a chapter about Cote Houses.
 

If you are able to provide any information about the content of any of the pictures, or have any others to add to the collection, please email scotterpictures@live.co.uk