Businesses and work
Sizer's yard (1898); 'The New Shop' of Christopher Wright, carrot washers, Elwoods Smithy
photo 38 - Sizer's yard (1898)
William Sizer (1865-1932) was born in Sheffield. By 1881 he was an apprentice carpenter living with his widowed grandfather William Skinner who farmed 17 acres from Bridge Street, Scotter.
In 1890 he married Clarissa Watson (1870-1953) of Scotterthorpe and they set up home on High Street. William was now a wheelwright and in 1898 he bought William Bramford's business at The Green. It seems likely the picture was taken at this time.
Sadly most of their children had short lives. They were John William 'Jack' (1894-1918), Lizzie Mary (1901-1929), George Frederick (1906-1989) and Clarissa Augusta (1909-1914).
The business was eventually taken over by their surviving son George Frederick Sizer who was a builder and carpenter until he retired in 1971.
Left to right:
woman1, woman2, apprentice3, man4, apprentice5, woman6, apprentice7 (on cart), Clarissa Sizer, John William 'Jack' Sizer (child), William Sizer, man8
picture 27 from Mr J.W. Wright - 'The New Shop'
This workplace of Christopher Young Wright was situated at the corner of Sands Lane and Gainsborough Road.
The signage reads 'Light & Heavy Wheelwrights, Joiners, Undertakers' while the cart displays 'A.J. Butler, Park Farm, Tattershall Thorpe' and 'Wright 1912'
pictured from left to right:
Emma Wright (born 1885) - daughter
Chistopher Young Wright (1882-1977) - son
Christopher Wright (1837-1927) - father
Philip Clayton - apprentice; killed in the Great War and commemorated inside St. Genewy's Church, Scotton
Christopher Wright snr married Anne Maria ('Annie') Humfress in 1866.
picture RJ13 from Roy Johnson - carrot washers
Carrot washing was work done in Scotter for many years. The small stream which runs into the River Eau from the east side of the War Memorial Playing fields is still known as Carrot Washer Drain.
An open air carrot washer building used to stand on the north bank of the Riverside next to the A159 bridge. Another was on the south bank a few hundred yards further downstream.
Richard Leaning Raddish (1879-1957), the owner of Manor Farm House (now the Manor care home) made much of his fortune by supplying towns and cities by rail with carrots and other vegetables. He also sold large amounts in the markets of Sheffield.
picture 383 from Verna Foster - Elwood's house & Smithy
Gervase Elwood was born at Scawby in 1832 and was named after his father, a bricklayer. He became a blacksmith in Scotter and in 1859 married 25 year old Emma Rawson of East Drayton. The next year their daughter Edith was born. Emma died in 1861 and Edith 2 years later after her father had taken a second wife.
In 1862 Gervase married Mary Waterhouse of Owston Ferry. They had 10 children, 3 of whom died in infancy, before his wife passed away in 1878 aged 43.
The next year Gervase married widow Eliza Sizer who bore him a further 3 sons. He died in 1912, Eliza the following year, and both are buried in St. Peter's Churchyard. His sons continued with the blacksmith business.
It seems likely the picture was staged with Eliza standing in the left hand doorway with her family around her. The man closest to her might be Gervase and, from left to right, could be their boys Gervase Jnr, Laban Richard and Frederick. It's possible the two at the workshop are Ira and Daniel, sons from the second marriage, who learned their father's trade.
Until the 1970's anyone travelling on the A159 from the direction of Scunthorpe would come down Messingham Road hill, cross the River Eau bridge and see Elwood's Smithy directly in front of them at a 'T' junction. To continue towards Blyton they turned left here on to High Street and took the sharp right into Hobb Lane before joining Gainsborough Road.
When the A159 was re-alligned, Elwood's Smithy and some houses behind it were demolished and the old 'T' junction became the High Street crossroads in the centre of the village.
Pages in this section
aerial view (c1905)
Methodist chapels; Susworth village; Wesleyan Guild (1908)
Susworth and Scotter classes (1906), National School teachers, County School teachers (1930s & 1950s), Scotter classes (c1951 & c1952)
Florence Annie Bullivant (nee Foster) ; William Fisher Cottingham, Ivy & Edna Skinner ; Christopher Young Wright ('Father Christmas') ; John & Annie Butler
The Chantrey's ; The Loughton's ; The Smiths ; Sunday School party (c1934) ; 3 concert party boys (1935) ; Workers at Lidgett's farm ; 1949 outing ; Mrs Barker's childrens party (c1960) ; at the Rectory (c1960)
1902 cricket, 1935 ladies football, 1946/1947 boys football, 1960s cricket
Primrose League Cycling Corps (1912)
Aerial photograph (c1950)
the four Scotter chapels
Kirton Road and Messingham Road
Eminson houses on Mount Street ; aerial view (post 1911)
c1910, unknown people
areial view (c1953)
originally known as Long Street - Eau Lane corner
Day's stackyard, village life (c1905), aerial view
Sands Lane junction, A159 re-allignment
before and after the storm
Can you put a name to any of these people?
Gardener's Question Time (1983) & Women's Institute 1st birthday (1966), 5 generations of Harsley's (1962)