South Street (now the eastern part of High Street)

Day's stackyard, village life (c1905), aerial view

corner of south street and church lane

picture 389 from Mrs Verna Foster - corner of South Street and Church Lane (c1900)

Taken on the pavement outside Scotter National School (now the Eau Centre and library) looking down South Street towards the middle of the village.

The premises in the right foreground is Day's stackyard and on the left is another building also used by their workforce.  The Sun & Anchor is in the distance on the left hand side of the road.

 

Village centre

picture 1119 - village life (c1905)

Everatt's cycle shop can be seen on the left hand side and the closed doors of Brumby's clothing store are on the right.  The horse drawn vehicle is a 'paddy and yankee carrier cart.  Lidgetts Hygenic bakery stands on the corner in the background (above the ladies in the road).  Behind the cart stands the Wesleyan Methodist chapel which was opened in 1900. 
 
 
areial view

picture 660 from Mary Savage - Church Lane / South Street junction (c1950)

On the site of the old Luddington's Grange is the bungalow, built for Herbert Hall, which replaced Day's stackyard.  On the other side of Church Lane stands the Church Hall and Library with Church Farm on the near side of South Street (now High Street).
 
The name of the farm behind the bungalow is not known and it seems the bowling green is at the top of the picture.