Eminson houses on Mount Street ; aerial view (post 1911)
picture DC7 from David Capes - pre 1918
The Gainsborough to Scunthorpe road went along Eau Lane, across the bridge and onward up Mount Street (all are now parts of Messingham Road).
From left to right the houses are High View, Mount House and French Cottage. All were owned by the Eminson family. Dr Robert Eminson (1810-1890), Scotter's physician for 55 years, died after treating his patients and catching their pleuro-pneumonic fever in the 1890 epidemic which struck the village.
His widow Martha (nee Oxley) lived at Mount House, now demolished, until her death in 1907. It was then inherited by her oldest son John Milton Oxley Eminson (1841-1912)). He had other houses in Hampstead and Earley near Reading and was a pharmaceutical chemist who bought run down businesses and sold them for a profit. John had married Fanny Froment Button in 1875 and they brought up their 3 children. Neither Robert nor Gertrude married and Herbert was killed (both sons are listed on the War Memorial). Shortly before John's death, possibly on his retirement, they moved to live at Peterborough. Afterwards his widow went with her two surviving children to reside at Scarborough and still used the Scotter home.
William Cowper Eminson (1858-1958), the doctor's youngest son, farmed on Gainsborough Road. He married Annie Amelia Raddish in 1892 and moved to live at French Cottage by the turn of the 20th Century. They had two sons and two daughters. Astley, like his father, was a Scotter parish councillor for many years and had Astley Cresent named after him. Percy died at High View from pnuemonia and is listed on the War Memorial.
The gates on the roadside were probably access to the carrot washer building which needed the waters of the River Eau.
picture 446 from Ken Green - the riverside (post 1911)