St Michael’s and All Angels Church, South Hykeham

Photograph of St Michael’s and All Angels Church,  South Hykeham

St Michael’s and All Angels Church, South Hykeham

The present church may be the third to have been built on the site.  The first recorded date of a Church in South Hykeham was 1138.  The west tower was constructed in the 13th or 14th Century.

In 1866 the spire was struck by lightening.  This was repaired and a programme of restoration commenced in 1869 including the erection of the south porch, removal of a gallery and installation of new windows.  The interior was also improved and acquired its Victorian features.

Photograph of st michael’s and all angels church, meadow lane, south hykeham

The stained glass windows were later installed.  One in memory of the Lord of the Manor, E R C Cust, others in memory of the then Rector’s young son and a former Churchwarden and his wife.  These were added in the late 19th Century.

Recently an appeal has been made for the repairs of the bell frame and the two ancient bells.  The oldest being installed in 1590.

Subsidence has now been identified under the Apse and underpinning is about to commence.  Plans are also in hand for the construction of a toilet and installation of a servery to enable the building to be available as a community resource.

* * * * * * * * * * * *

The Church Parish Office, The Ark, Moor Lane, Tel:  01522 883100.  Team Rector, Rev R Eyre – Tel:  01522 882880.