South Somercotes is a village 8 miles north east of Louth and covers almost 2,600 acres.
The villages of Somercotes Lie on a strip of marine silts laid down as the sea rose following the last ice age. Use of these marshes was first made from the clay sands which lie immediately inland - animals grazed and salt was made. By the 10th century the marshes were being colonised and settled. Somercotes was recorded in Domesday with the elements in the placename indicating the nature of early settlement. This was the place of the summer huts (sumor cot) for those tending cattle on the summer grazing.
The Anglican church is dedicated to St Peter and is often called the Queen of the Marsh due to its lofty spire serving as a landmark for seaman. The church is mainly from the 13th century but with tower and spire somewhat later and the font is 15th century and carved with the instruments of the passion. St Peters underwent extensive repairs in 1866 and seats around 240.
The Village has a strong community feel and still has a yearly fund raising day which funds are put towards the village openspace. It also offers a peaceful holiday area with many fishing lakes nearby.