Parish Church

Church of St Edward the Confessor Vicar: Reverend Penny Green - revdpg@virginmedia.com or 01522 595596.

Church of St Edward the Confessor, Sudbrooke

Although there is evidence of a much earlier church on the site in Sudbrooke, the present church building was constructed between 1860 and 1862, having been designed by Dobson of Newcastle. It is essentially a copy of the church at Steetley in Derbyshire, with its vaulted apse, nave, chancel, south porch and a bell in the western gable.  Lincoln banker, Richard Ellison, had left £2000 for this rebuilding in his will. The Ellisons occupied Sudbrooke Holme, a large house that was later demolished during the 1920s, and had been located in what is now called Sudbrooke Park. The church is built in the Norman Revival style. The West end has two corner buttresses and a central one, flanked by single windows. An interesting feature is the many stone carvings of heads, many grotesque, that can be seen around the church and the stained glass windows. For a comprehensive survey of the architectural features of the church, read the survey on the British Listed Buildings website by clicking the link below.

Church Services are listed in the Events Calendar.

Carvings