Surfleet Wiki

Surfleet on Wikipedia

Visit and add your knowledge to the Wikipedia Surfleet page at..........

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surfleet

------------------------------

Flooding used to be a major concern for residents and in 1739 a sluice was erected to control the flow of water in and out of the River Glen, since the threat of flood has been greatly reduced, as the reservoir holds the waters of the river until the high tide has passed.  This area of the village is known as Surfleet Seas End.

Photograph of the sluice at surfleet seas end

The Railway arrived in Surfleet in the 19850’s when the Lincolnshire loop of the Great Northern Railway was completed linking Peterborough to Grimsby.  The railway station was situated at the bottom of the village giving the main road through the village (Station Road) its name. The station finally closed its doors to the public in 1963 when the railway tracks were removed. The station buildings in Surfleet stood until 1964 when they were bulldozed to make room for the A16 Spalding Bypass.  The only part of the station that still exists is The Riverside Public House which is on the original route of Station Road which was re-routed to accommodate the A16.

Photograph of the riverside public house, surfleet

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surfleet

Surfleet Seas End Primary School

The school originally built in 1878, is a community school, controlled by the Lincolnshire Education Authority.  The school is currently forming a soft federation with Weston St Mary’s Primary School.

The Governors are the employers of all the staff who work there.

Over the years the building has been extended to provide accommodation which consists of three carpeted class rooms, a refurbished hall and a mobile classroom situated across the back playground.

There are two hard surface play areas, a car park for staff and visitors and a very large field.  There are also environmental areas, thus giving the school a quiet beautiful setting.

The school is involved with many aspects of village life, has good links with other groups and organisations locally and always welcomes new opportunities to be further involved within the local village community.

Contacts

 

School Motto:

Firm Foundations for the Future


St Laurence Church

The church is dedicated to St Laurence, who was martyred on a grid iron over 1800 years ago. For this reason the weather vane on the top of the spire takes the form of a gilded Gridiron.Photograph of st laurence church, surfleet

The tower and spire really have a distinct lean, as the foundations started to sink in the soft fenland soil when the tower was built (1270-1350).  The tip of the spire is over six feet from the perpendicular.

Local legend maintains that the tower bowed to a passing knight!

Most of the church is built in the Decorated and Perpendicular styles between 1270- and 1480, although parts date back to the early Norman period (1066-1130).

The church is one of the few in England to possess a peal of 12 bells. This beautiful church is well worth a visit and an interesting guide is available for visitors.

Vicarage...19 Spalding Road, Pinchbeck. Tel: 01775 710904

Church wardens...Mr Douglas Drakard 01205 461423

...Miss Annette Rhodes 01775 680235

Sunday Services -8am Holy communion

-9:15am Family Service (first Sunday of the month)

-9:15am Sung Eucharist (remaining Sundays)

See the noticeboard outside the church for special services (Christmas, Easter etc)

Church Magazine...Jean Bratley Email: stlaurencemag@googlemail.com