Swallow Parish Council incorporating the village of Cuxwold

The village and parish of  Swallow lies in the West Lindsey district of  Lincolnshire, 4 miles east from Caistor and 10 miles south-west from Grimsby.  The parish covers just over 2,700 acres.

 

The Swallow Anglican Parish Church is dedicated to the Holy Trinity.  It is not known when a church was first constructed here, but it is considered Norman.

The church was partially rebuilt in 1868 and then thoroughly restored in 1883 with church yard being extended in 1905.  The church seats around 90 people.

There is an old rhyme told about the church: "You must pity poor Swallow People, Who sold the bells to mend the steeple". This refers to the collapse of the steeple some time before 1663. Swallow is a friendly community and would welcome new members to the congregation whether permanent or just visiting for a day.  As part of a group of seven parishes there is just one regular service a month on the third Sunday at 11.30am.
Unfortunately the church is kept locked, but there is a key holder notice with a village map in the porch.

 

Swallow Village Hall is available with prior booking.  It has access which includes a ramped entrance and the hall has Toilets and Basic kitchen facilities.

 

 

Cuxwold is the neighboring village in the civil parish of Swallow.

 

Cuxwold Grade II  listed Anglican Church is dedicated to St. Nicholas.  The lower part of the tower is 11th-century and the church has a Norman Font and its original Norman Arch opening to the nave with lancets in.  The organ, recently fully restored, was built in the late 1800s by Thomas Casson, recognised as the father of modern pedal organs.    

Within the village is a further Grade II listed building, Cuxwold Hall, built in 1860.

Cuxwold was the location of an emergency landing ground for airplanes during the Second World War.