Tetney Primary School

Tetney Primary

By 7th February, 1856 a plan was drawn up by the architect, James Wilson of Bath. In April of the same year the Rev. John Scott laid the foundation stone, John Scott was the greatest name in early Methodist Education and in 1843 as President of the Methodist Conference he proposed a scheme for building 700 new schools within seven years, and raising an education fund of £5,000 a year. The proposals were greeted with much enthusiasm but it was not until 1870 that the major part had been implemented. On 3rd July, 1856 the Trustees, a group of 23 local men, bought 800 square yards of land (more land was bought later) from a farmer, Robert Hewson, for £50 13s. 8d.

Further information can be found on the website shown below