Historical Background

The village is steeped in history, with one of the most magnificent churches (All Saints) and adjacent is The Hall, a thatched house dating back to the 16th century.

Within the village there used to be two other great houses but sadly these have long gone.

One of these was in the field opposite All Saints Church.  It was a large moated house which belonged at one time to a family by the name of ANGEVINE who came from Normandy in the 12th century.

The other, to the north of Station Road, was the family home of the Newcomen family and later Honourable Charles Bertie the only son of the Earl of Lindsey, Heriditary Lord Chamberlain of  England, whose home was Grimsthorpe Castle. After Charles’s death his kinsmen acquired his Lincolnshire estates on condition that they resided in Theddlethorpe for two months of the year. However they were not going to be made countrymen by such methods. Visits grew shorter and more irregular until at last the Bertie’s home came no more and in 1788 the last Duke of Ancaster, who was also Earl of Lindsey, ended by pulling down the house.

In 1880 there was a lifeboat station in the village and navigation not being what it is today was frequently called out to ships which were in difficulties. The lifeboat was launched by horses and much to the disgust of the Theddlethorpe crew, the boat was moved to Mablethorpe where today there is an inshore one to protect amongst others and holiday makers.

One of the great events of the village must be the coming of the railway station in 1877. It brought many places in the county, and country, in travelling distances. The line closed on December 3rd 1960 and one can find the route which was used by trains by looking from the Station House and Gate Houses, which are now private dwellings.

Photograph of theddlethorpe station

Theddlethorpe not only had two churches but had two chapels, the Wesleyan (St. Johns) was at the front of the Primary School, this chapel has now been demolished and the site developed into the thriving school. The other chapel, a Primitive Methodist, was built in 1852 and the last service was held at Christmas 2003 and is now being converted to a private house.