The village is a documented settlement in the Doomsday book of 1086 and was mainly an agricultural community until the late 19th century. Horseracing also took place on the heathland areas, which are now part of the RAF station. At various times other activities including malting, brick-making and stone-quarrying have taken place in the village.
High Dyke, the road that runs between the main RAF station and the service married quarters, lies on the line of the Roman Road Ermine Street. There is only minor evidence that High Dyke is Ermine Street, but the alignment is so exact that it is unlikely to be a coincidence. It is of note that Ermine Street, as it passes Byards Leap, 20 miles to the south, is also called High Dyke at that point. The traceable line of Ermine Street peters out in the adjacent village of Harmston and does not reappear until the other side of Lincoln.
Around 1830, George Boole, the mathmatician, taught at Waddington Academy Boarding School in the village, run by Robert Hall. From 1838 to 1840, Boole lived in the village and became headmaster of the Academy.
The present-day Anglican parish church of St Michael is a modern stone building situated on High Street. Consecrated in 1954, it replaced an earlier 12th century church destroyed in a World War 11 air raid on the night of 8 May, 1941. An account of that night is documented in the book Waddington at War 1939-1941.
The older part of the village primarily consists of buildings built of the local limestone along with some brick-built houses built after brick making began to take place on the lower slopes of the village.
The newer residential areas are located in the lower part of the village and are of modern brick and tile construction.
Enemy action during 1941 severely damaged 71 houses in the village, as well as the Horse & Jockey pub and the NAFFI building on the RAF station. The damage was mainly caused by two aerial mines; large bombs dropped by parachute and fused to explode before hitting the ground. Unfortunately 11 people were killed, among them the NAAFI manageress, Mrs Constance Raven, after whom the all-ranks club on the RAF station is still named.
The Parish Council Office is located on High Street, while the post office is incorporated within the Co-op premises on Bar Lane. This store also incorporates a pharmacy.
The Waddington branch of the Lincolnshire county libraries is located in Lower High Street.
In addition to the Cliff Villages Medical Practice located on Grantham Road at the Mere Road junction, there is also a chiropody practice located on Bar Lane.
The Lincolnshire Fire Brigade premises are located adjacent to the the Cliff Villages Medical Practice on Mere Road.
There are two primary schools within the parish of Waddington. All Saints Primary School is in the upper part of the village on Mere Road, whilst Redwood Primary School is in the lower part of the village off Brant Road.
Shops and restaurants
The village has a varied selection of shops which are mainly located around the Bar Lane area in the upper part of the village and the Redwood Drive Shopping Centre in the lower part of the village. There are Chinese and Indian takeaways in both locations, as well as a fish and chip shop in the upper village.
There are three public houses in the village, the names of which reflect the agricultural history of the village. In the centre of the village is the Horse and Jockey which fronts the old town square, while the Three Horse Shoes is situated beside St. Michael’s Church on High Street. The third public house is the Wheatsheaf which is situated at the crossroads of the Lincoln to Grantham road (A607) and Mere Road which is the main access road to RAF Waddington.
RAF Waddington, is an important British airbase east of the village's centre. One of the oldest airfields in the UK, it was founded in November 1916 for the Royal Flying Corps. RAF Waddington is the RAF's main ISTAR base, operating amongst others the E-3D Sentry (a.k.a. AWACS) reconnaissance aircraft. Previous to this, the station had been home to part of the Avro Vulcan nuclear bomber force.
The village is served by bus links to Lincoln and Grantham operated by Stagecoach Group. Buses travel to and from
Lincoln at 15 minute intervals during peak hours and there is a bus service every half hour to Grantham and villages on the A607.