The name of Wenflet is in the 1086 Domesday Book. Wainfleet was a busy port on the River Steeping in Medieval times, but silting of the river and accretion of sand bars off the coast cut of access to the sea.
In the Market Place stands a Medieval Butter Cross where the founder of the Methodist movement John Wesley preached. A splendid Clock Tower was erected in the Market Place in 1899.
Willam Patten known as William of Waynflete was born in the town in 1395. He became Bishop of Winchester and Lord Chancellor of England. Having founded the Magdalen College at Oxford he authorised the building of Magdalen College School in Wainfleet to provide scholars for the Oxford College. Originally designed to take seven boys the building was last used as a school in 1966. The Grade 1 listed building now houses a museum, library and cafe. William of Waynflete is buried in one of the closed churchyards maintained by the Town Council.
The most unusual group of buildings in the town are the row of houses in Barkham Street. Built in 1847 for the Bethlem Trust, these three-storey terraced rows are similar to those built in London, but here no effort was made to style them to fit in with the surroundings.
Bateman's Brewery was based on an old windmill dating back two centuries on banks of the river Steeping. This family run brewery is famous for its award winning real ales. The brewery has a Visitor Centre, this being one of many good reasons to visit Wainfleet All Saints.