History of West Deeping Village Hall

West Deeping C of E Primary School in 1940s

There has been a Village Hall or Reading Room in West Deeping since 1900. 

One of the village Almshouses was used as a school from the late 1840s, but when a new village school was opened in 1900, the building was adapted to be used as a Reading Room.  In the late 1950s, it came to be called the Village Hall and was used as such until the "new" school closed. The "Old Reading Room" was sold in the 1970s and is now a private house.

The school building which is now used as the Village Hall was built during the last part of the 19th century, along with the house next to it, with money donated by West Deeping residents and supporters.  When the village school closed in 1971, the building was leased by the trustees of the Educational Foundation to the Village Hall Committee.

The Village Hall has been the venue for a variety of community activities and private parties.  It is regularly used for meetings of the Parish Council and the Village Hall Committee and as the village Polling Station at local and general elections.  Village social groups meet here including the Carpet Bowls Group and the Readers Group.  Coffee mornings for the benefit of the Church, the Village Hall and the Bowls Club take place here on various Saturday mornings throughout the year.  Since 2008 the Village Hall has been a venue for performances under the Lincolnshire Touring Arts Scheme.

In the past, the Village Hall has been the home of a youth club, an under-fives playgroup, a keep-fit group, West Deeping Ladies Club and the Evergreens. For many years there was an annual Village Show and fete every summer. Until 2013,  teas for the Midsummer Open Gardens event, held every 2 years, were a popular attraction.