Home

Welcome to Witham-on-the-Hill, we hope that you will stay awhile & browse though our website which has been set up with the help of Lincolnshire County Council.

Witham-on-the-Hill is mentioned in the Great Domesday Book 1086.  Ham is from the Anglo-Saxon for homestead, village.

Witham-on-the-Hill is a small village with approximately 86 dwellings.  
The properties are a mix of traditional stone & Collyweston Slate and a number are listed.  The most impressive of these is Witham Hall and its three archways.  Witham Hall dates from the 18th century with the arches dating from 1830, 1876 and 1906.  Today Witham Hall is used as a co-educational preparatory school.

Another attraction is the Village Stocks & Whipping Post under a canopy of Collyweston Slates which is a fissile limestone from Jurassic period & is named after the village which lies at the centre of the area where the slate is quarried.  The stone slate has been a roofing material since Roman times.

The Church of St. Andrew dates back to the 15th century, with the church spire being rebuilt in 1738.  There is also a War Memorial in the Church yard which together with the Church is listed.

The Parish Hall was built originally as a Village School in 1857 with the schoolmaster’s house nearby.  During the refurbishment of the Hall in 2000 old oak beams & 19th century woodwork were discovered & these features have been retained.   

The village is situated in a conservation area and is lucky enough to have a large play area in the middle of the village which has just been updated with new play equipment with grants from Lincolnshire County Council, South Kesteven District Council & other authorities.  The majority of the footwork was done by parishioners with the help of the Parish Council.  The village has also received awards in the past for The Best Kept Village Competition.