Village History

Village Centre Cottages

Photo by John Platt

Village Centre Cottages

The Civil Parish of Withern-with-Stain lies about 6 miles south-east of Louth and 4 miles north of Alford. It now includes the former parish of Tothill and covers an area of about 2,700 acres.

In 1086 the Domesday Survey recorded the name of the parish as WiĆ°erne, derived from the Old English/Old Norse words for 'the house in the wood'.

The parish church, dedicated to St Margaret, was rebuilt in 1811-12, incorporating part of the 15th century arcade in the nave. The church closed in 1973; the building is now a private house. Today Withern is part of the Woldmarsh group of Anglican parishes. Anglican registers exist from 1558. The Methodists built their first chapel in 1809. The present Chapel was erected in 1875.

To the east of Withern lies the hamlet of Stain, once a parish in its own right. The ancient church of St John the Baptist, which stood on Stain Hill, was demolished towards the end of the 17th century. 

St Margaret's Church of England Primary School, which opened in 1800, was re-established as a 'National School' in 1850.

The Withern-with-Stain Parish Council was formed under the Local Government Act of 1894.

If you want to know more about the history of Withern a book, 'Withern: The Story of a Lincolnshire Parish', published in 2005 (ISBN 0 953953 3 5) can be obtained from the Louth Museum, 4 Broadbank, Louth, Lincs, LN11 0EQ - tel: 01507-601211 [].