Castle Bytham Parish Council

The conservation village of Castle Bytham is pleasantly situated in a well-defined valley in the southwest corner of Lincolnshire, close to the border with Rutland. There is an earthwork that juts out of the surrounding countryside towards the centre of the village and this is the Castle Hill – now known as the Castle Mound. It is thought that the first motte and bailey castle was built by Drogo de Beverer, or Brewere as it is more commonly spelt, having been given the Manor of Bytham around 1071. 

In the year 1221 the castle, which was now stone and owned by the rebellious William de Fortibus, was besieged by King Henry III, and sometime around the 17th of February it was razed to the ground and its inhabitants arrested. There is still evidence of the motte and bailey and the River Glen runs around and below the level of the remains of a moat. A small archaeological excavation was permitted some years ago, but there is currently no public access to the historic monument. 

Across the road from the Castle Mound is the village pond with its graceful weeping willow and friendly population of mallards and moorhens. The ancient Church of St. James’ sits squarely at the southern side of the village. In the year 1115 AD an earlier edifice of Saxon-style was given by Stephen Earl of Albemarle to a French monastery. However, the present church is in the style of the late or transition Norman that prevailed between the years 1145 – 1190, and it is thought that William de Colville commissioned the present church during his family’s occupation of Bytham Castle between 1180 and 1185.

There are currently two Public Houses, a Surgery and a Cabinet Maker’s shop in Castle Bytham, and several farms both large and small. As in many villages there are a host of small businesses and sole traders, many of which can be seen on this website, covering a surprising array of crafts and trades. 

This is a warm and welcoming community to new residents and visitors alike and well worth a visit. Begin your exploration by clicking on the various links shown on the left.

The early history of the village can be found in “A History of the Ancient Castle and its Feudal Lords, the Parish and Church”, written by Rev. John Wild BA and published in September 1870.
A more up-to-date and comprehensive book is “The History of Castle Bytham” written by Richard Foers MBE JP and published in 2000.

Sitting Councillors 

Following the May 2019 elections the following Members were elected.
  • Peter Hinton - Chairman
  • Alan Harvey - Vice-Chairman
  • Patrick Candler
  • Susan Farley
  • Kate Goodman
  • George Hayward
  • Della Mellows
  • Sue Thomas
  • Jenny Webber

Parish Clerk: Mrs Muriel Cooke
40 Station Road
Castle Bytham
Grantham
Lincs
NG33 4SB
Phone: 01780 410502

Email: castlebythamparishcouncil@yahoo.com        

Castle Bytham Parish Council meets in the Village Hall, Pinfold Road.