Photo by Cllr B Barber

The Institute 38 Church Street Deeping St James

PLEASE Use the link below or click on the picture of the Cross on the right, to view the pre 2018 information on the Deeping St James Parish Council's Old Web Site.

 

http://www.dsjpc.co.uk/pc/index.htm 

 

Welcome to the new website. All the current Parish news and information will be published here for your perusal.

Deeping St James is a large village in the South Kesteven district of Lincolnshire, England. The population of the civil parish (including Frognall) is about 8,000 in 2017.

Stone bridge ebtering into deeping st james

Photo by Cllr B Barber

Deeping Gate Bridge over the River Welland linking the parishes of Deeping St James and Deeping Gate

The bridge was constructed in 1651 and was designed to allow horse drawn carts to cross the river in the days when the River Welland was a busy trading route.

Along the bridge there are four alcoves which were designed to allow mules loaded with goods to stand aside and allow horse and carts to pass.

Today, the bridge is used for cars and other small vehicles and at only 13 feet wide traffic can move in only one direction at a time

 
Waterton arms pub

Photo by Cllr B Barber

Waterton Arms Pub

The Waterton Arms is one of 4 Hostelries within the Parish. The others are The Bell, The Goat and The Walnut Tree.

History of the Waterton Arms.

Edmund Waterton was born in 1830 and lived at Walton Hall near Wakefield, Yorkshire. In 1879 he sold Walton Hall and brought Deeping Manor. The manor stood in the land between Bell Lane and Hereward Way, Deeping St James.

In earlier days the present car park was laid with lawns fronted by a tall privet hedge with only a narrow entrance to the pub. Beyond the lawns was a large corrugated iron clubroom and in times past a horse drawn "brake" was used to bring parties from Peterborough to the Inn.

In 1937 the corrugated clubroom was given a coat of green paint and then became known as the 'Tin Hut'. It became a popular venue for whist drives, dances and concerts.

During the second world war the local branch of the WRVS used to hold meetings in the Tin Hut when its members would be busily engaged in knitting gloves, mittens, scarves and balaclavas for the Armed Forces.

Much has changed since these days with numerous landlords taking over. In 1992 the original inn sign was reconstructed using the original Waterton family coat of arms.

The cross

Photo by Cllr B Barber

The Cross

The Village Cross and lock up situated on the junction of Churchgate and Eastgate Deeping St James.

 The former village cross, was built in the 15th century, but in 1819 the cross shaft was removed and the base was converted into the village lock-up. Village lock ups are historic buildings that were used for the temporary detention of people in rural parts of England. They were often used for the confinement of drunks who were usually released the next day or to hold people being brought before the local magistrate.