Conservation Area

Introduction

1. In November 1969, the former Lindsey County Council designated as a Conservation Area under Section 1 of the Civic Amenities Act 1967, much of the centre of the village of Nettleham.

2. Section 277 of the Town and Country Planning Act 1971 (amended) states that every local planning authority shall, from time to time, determine which parts of their area are areas of special architectural or historic interest, the character or appearance of which it is desirable to preserve or enhance, and shall designate such areas as Conservation Areas.

3. In 1984 the District Council decided to review the Nettleham Conservation Area for the following reasons:-

  • To determine if there were additional areas of the village which
    warrant Conservation Area status.
  • To resolve anomalies in the existing boundary caused by subsequent development.
  • To produce an up—to—date base map.
  • To update the report to include the changes in Town and Country planning legislation in recent years.
  • To give local publicity to the Conservation Area.

4. The result of this was that the District Council considered that
some boundary changes were needed and, following local consultation,
a revised Conservation Area, that defined on the map with this
report, was designated by the District Council in March and May
1985.

Planning Policy

5. Nettleham has always been considered, in planning terms, as a village where housing development should be encouraged, together with the necessary social, educational and shopping facilities to serve an increased population. As a result the population increased dramatically from 1599 in 1951, to 1940 in 1961, and 3112 in 1971. In 1981, it stood at 3396. The village has assumed a dormitory function for people working in Lincoln and is also the location of the County Headquarters of the Lincolnshire Police. The village is designated a Main Village in the Lincolnshire County Structure Plan; this reflects the size to which it has grown. Present and future development policies for the village are set out in policy documents available from the District Council.

History

6. There is a variety of visual evidence of Nettleham's long history. To the south of the High Street, in an open field, grassy mounds mark the site of the 11th Century Bishops Palace, an Ancient Monument, yet to be fully explored, which is of national importance. The Parish Church, rebuilt in 1891, exhibits work of the 13th through to the 15th centuries. There are in addition several cottages and other buildings, which, although modernised subsequently, many in recent years, orginally date from the 16th, 17th, 18th and early 19th centuries. These are to be found mainly on the High Street and around The Green. Development up to the early 20th century consolidated the village in these two areas. Since that time development has spread to include the many estates to the north, east and west to give the village form seen today.

  1. The Conservation Area includes all of the older parts of the village.
    Photograph of beck house, nettleham

    Beck House

  2. The Green undoubtedly forms one of the main focal points in the village and is important not only as an attractive feature in itself, but also as an historic survival of the traditional village green. Many of the buildings fronting it are constructed of stone or stone coloured bricks in common with the rest of the village, but there are red and brown brick buildings to be seen here also. Several of these buildings are architecturally important and are identified on Map 1. Particularly worthy of note is probably the oldest surviving village building after the Parish Church, Beck House, dating from the 16th century.
  3. The Green is crossed by footpaths, and is the site for the village War Memorial, and a village sign, which although a very recent addition, is of attractive design, the painted wooden sign being supported on a plinth of stone and pantiles. A red telephone box of traditional appearance is also sited here) on the north—east corner, and it is hoped that this will be retained and not replaced by one of modern design. A number of trees of varying ages have also been planted around the area.
  4. The overall effect of these buildings, trees, grass and open space is one of village charm. It is marred only by the number of overhead wires, particularly those to the pole prominently sited adjacent to the telephone box, and, on occasions, by the number of cars parked in the area by shoppers.
    Photograph of a view of nettleham parish church
  5. Church Street leads from The Green towards the Church. A narrow road flanked by buildings built up to the footpaths. Several of the buildings here have been rendered or are single storey, at variance with the character of much of the village, but, most being shops, the Street bustles with activity. There ar.e three buildings of note, 1, 10 and 11 Church Street, all Listed Buildings, No 1 being the oldest, having stood here for three hundred years. Looking to the west along the street is a dramatic view of the Church.
    Photograph of nettleham parish church
  6. The Parish Church of All Saints stands in a pleasant setting of trees and is approached from the High Street by way of a foot—bridge over the Beck which flows through the village. For a distance of about 100 metres in the vicinity of the Church the Beck runs clear and shallow alongside the road, but for the rest of its passage through the Conservation Area it flows behind the buildings on the north side of High Street to Watermill Lane, and Mill Hill as far as Vicarage Lane. A footpath follows the course of the Beck and provides a pleasant waterside walk.
    Photograph of the footpath following the course of the beck in nettleham
  7. Several properties front onto this Beckside footpath. Those on the north side are generally stone built with pantiled roofs. Many have had modern improvements which have changed their individual character, but two, Nos 5 and 10 Beckside, the former a Listed Building, are worthy of note. On the south side is a mixture of tree and shrub filled back gardens, and the often uninspiring backs of High Street properties.
    Photograph of watermill lane, nettleham
  8. At its western end, Beckside terminates on Watermill Lane; although well used, attractive public rights of way continue westwards through the grounds of the Police Headquarters., and northwards to Deepdale Lane. The grouping of buildings around the Watermill Lane ford present a particularly impressive roofscape of red pantiles, further enhanced by the roof tiles on more modern houses built on the housing estate to the north, which is not included within the Conservation Area.
    Photograph of buildings along nettleham high street
  9. Between the houses on the north side of the Greetwell Lane/High Street junction, and the former Primary School near the Church, many of the buildings along the High Street are of considerable age. They span the last three hundred years, and are mainly small stone built houses and cottages. These groups of buildings are visually self contained, with no significant intrusion of new development, although many of the older buildings have 20th century windows. Few of these buildings have outstanding architectural merit; the White Hart Inn, and Nos 19 and 27 High Street are Listed Buildings, and, at the western end, 44 and 46 High Street are good examples of how a modern home can be provided and essentially keep the local village character. Collectively, all the buildings, including these, form an attractive group of great character.
  10. The former Primary School, a Listed Building, provides a prominent feature in the village scene as it occupies a corner site facing westwards along the High Street.
    Photograph of ash tree farm, nettleham
  11. At its western end the old village terminates abruptly at Ash Tree Farm where the stone built house and adjoining farm buildings, including a large barn and a dovecote, standing behind a small green, provide a charming group which closes the view westwards along the High Street.

    Photograph of the site of the old bishop's palace, nettleham
  12. To the south of High Street is a large field containing extensive grassy mounds below which lie the remains of the old Bishop's Palace; sacked by the insurrectionists in the Lincolnshire Rising of 1536 and demolished in 1630. The site, scheduled as an Ancient Monument, is of national archaeological importance.

    Photograph of the old vicarage in nettleham
  13. A group of old stone cottages and houses, several of which have been reconditioned, stand at the northern end of East Street, and provide an attractive introduction to the Conservation Area. In common with many other older buildings in the village, modern windows have changed the original appearance of the houses, but their stone walls and mainly pantiled roofs are typical. 25 East Street, The Old Vicarage, is a Listed Building.

    Photograph of chapel lane nettleham
  14. Chapel Lane is noteworthy for its impressive terraces of houses, the longest in the village. The southern one of these, seven cottages, is early 19th century, with stone walls, the other, six cottages; is late 19th century and is of yellow brick. They both have pantiled roofs, and whilst most have had later windows installed, apart from one small exception, all the original window apertures have been retained.

    Photograph of north street in nettleham
  15. At its half way point, around a right angled bend, North Street has a collection of stone buildings, linked by stone walls, and mature trees, which combine to create an attractive feature. Both Poplar Farm and Walnut House are former farmhouses with a range of adjacent farm buildings of considerable age.

22. Wiithin the Conservation Area, the following policies and actions will be pursued by the District Council:-

a. Planning Applications

  1. Any application for planning permission for development that, in the opinion of the Council, is likely to affect the character or appearance of the Conservation Area will be advertised for public comment.
  2. The acceptability or otherwise of any proposed new buildings within the Conservation Area will, in many cases, depend on the detailed siting and external appearance of the buildings and the material to be used in their construction. The Council may therefore refuse to consider outline applications. Detailed applications may be required indicating the siting, design and materials of construction of any proposed building works.
  3. Applications for new uses or changes of use will be granted permission only if it is considered that the proposed use will not detract from the appearance and character of.the Conservation Area.
  4. In August 1986, the District Council made a Direction under Article 4 of the Town and Country Planning General Development Orders 1977 to 1985, and the Town and Country Planning (National Parks, Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty and Conservation Areas etc) Special Development Order 1985, relating to two terraces of cottages, 7 to 21, and 23 to 33, Chapel Lane, Nettleham. This requires planning permission to be obtained for certain types of development previously permitted by the General Development Orders. As a result, planning permission is required for reroofing the building or rebuilding of chimneys, the installation of new, or alteration to existing windows and doorways, for canopies over doors, the placing of shutters alongside windows, the installation of any type of door surround, and the use of rendering or mock stone cladding to the walls and for their painting. Planning permission is also required for the construction of new, or the replacement of any of the existing walls, fences or railings alongside Chapel Lane. The Article 4 Direction can be inspected on request to the Planning Officer.

b. Siting, Design and Materials

  1. The building lines to which the frontages of existing buildings are constructed are important to the character of the area and any new development or modifications to existing development will be required to accord with the existing building lines, except where there is a good and clear aesthetic justification for not doing so.
  2. The design of and materials to be used in new buildings or in extensions to existing buildings should, in form, colour and texture, be in harmony with the traditional buildings in the Conservation Area.
  3. The external painting of walls should be avoided wherever possible. One of the most significant characteristics of the village is the exposed stone and brickwork of its buildings. External painting requires regular maintenance which, if it does not take place, can lead to buildings becoming unkempt in appearance, to the detriment of the surrounding area. It is more in keeping with the village environment to repair and repoint existing walls without painting.
  4. The proportions of door and window sizes in an elevation is of great importance in the creation and maintenance of building character and quality. The size and shape of the aperture should be retained, with ideally windows of traditional design and modern construction inserted.
  5. The addition of shutters alongside windows is not to be recommended. This is not a traditional detail of Lincolnshire buildings and can spoil the proportions of an elevation. In addition, they increase the burden of maintenance requiring regular repainting, and introduce unnecessary clutter to the detriment of the appearance of the building.
  6. Before the detail of the design of new buildings and extensions to older dwellings are prepared, developers and/or owners are urged to contact the Council's Planning Department to discuss the proposals.

c. Buildings within Conservation Areas

  1. It should be noted that in addition to the provision made for controlling the demolition and alteration of "listed" buildings, the Town and Country Amenities Act 1974 requires that within Conservation Areas, consent is obtained from the District Council before any building is demolished.
  2. If, in the opinion of the District Council, the proposed alteration of any building not listed is likely to detract from its appearance, or from the appearance of the area, the Council will consider making a Building Preservation Notice, which then applies the same control to the building as if it were "listed".
  3. The owner of a Listed Building for which Listed Building Consent, involving a measure of demolition, has been granted, is required to give one month's notice of his intention to carry out the work to the Royal Commission on Historical Monuments so that they may be able to make such records of the building as may be necessary. Listed Buildings within the Conservation Area are included in Appendix 1.

d. Grants for the Repair and Maintenance of Buildings

  1. Within the limits of such funds as may be afforded from time to time, the District Council will consider making grant—aid available towards the repair and maintenance of older buildings. Buildings do not have to be Listed as being of Special Architectural or Historic Interest (ie a Listed Building), but they must, in the opinion of the District Council, be of importance in the local street scene. The amount of grant—aid made available is usually related to the excess costs incurred by the owners in their maintenance and repair arising from the use of special materials or workmanship to preserve their character and appearance. Potential applicants are advised that no works should be carried out before approval for grant—aid has been confirmed. Those buildings which are considered to be most important in contributing to the character of the Conservation Area are set out in Appendix 1, but there may be other buildings, both inside and outside, on which work may be grant— aided.

e. Other Grants

  1. The District Council have a scheme of grant—aid to support work which will result in environmental improvement, the number of schemes in any one year being limited by the funds available. The type of work which can benefit from this is not specified because of the great variety of projects which can achieve the desired results. Projects can be identified by an individual, local organisation, Company, Parish Council or the District Council. The main criteria is that some local improvement must be achieved or the preservation of an existing attractive environment which is under threat. An applicant, landowner, or the sponsoring organisation is expected to make a financial contribution also. Each application is treated on its individual merits. Details are available from the Planning Officer
  2. The District Council promote the planting of trees throughout the District through their Tree Planting Scheme. Details are available from the Planning Officer.

f. Trees

  1. It should also be noted that the Town and Country Amenities Act 1974 makes provision for the protection of trees in Conservation Areas which are not covered by Tree Preservation Orders, by requiring that anyone intending to cut down, top, lop, uproot, damage or destroy any such trees shall give the District Council six weeks notice of their intention to do so. This gives the District Council the opportunity to consider the making of a Tree Preservation Order. The Council will look most carefully at development which is likely to affect existing trees and may require tree planting, in connection with new development.

g. Public Participation

  1. Although the District Council has considerable powers of control in Conservation Areas, the success of such areas depends to a large extent on the willingness of the general public, particularly those living and working within Conservation Areas, to participate with the planning authority in furthering the aims of conservation. In this respect the planning authority will always be willing to offer help or advice to any member of the public on any matters concerning conservation.

h. Enhancement

  1. Section 277(8) of the Town and Country Planning Act requires that planning authorities shall pay special attention to the desirability of enhancing the character of Conservation Areas. The District Council envisage that apart from opportunities which might arise from time to time for the promotion of a particular improvement, generally such schemes will be promoted locally, taking advantage of the funds available as set out in "e, i" above.

NB. This list includes all those buildings which by virtue of their design and their materials contribute most strongly to the character of the area. Not all are unmodernised or of great age. They include all the Listed Buildings within the Conservation Area. The exclusion of any building does not indicate that it has no contribution to make to the village character, but that it is either of modern construction, or has been altered such that its original character has been changed. Comments refer to the street elevations.

Numbers refer to Map 1.

1. 1 and 3 Deepdale Lane
Late C19 pair of cottages. 2— storey, stone walls, brown concrete tile roof. Horizontal sliding sash windows. Yellow brick chimney stacks. No 3 unoccupied and in a poor state or repair.

2. 25, East Street, The Old Vicarage
Late C18, former Vicarage. Limestone rubble with pantile roof. Two brick gable chimney stacks. Sash windows. Listed Building.

3. 18 The Crescent
Late C17 cottage with C20 alterations. Limestone rubble with steep pitched pantile roof. Central brick ridge chimney stack. Mixture of sash and casement windows. Listed Building.

4. Workshop, Scothern Road
Single storey workshop, limestone rubble with pantile roof. Lower stone and pantile outbuilding to south, stone wall flanking to north.

5. 6 and 8 East Street
C19 house, stone walls, pantile roof, casement windows.

6. Poplar Farm farmbuildings
L plan. 2—storey limestone barn with pantiled roof. Northern range of single storey stone and pantile cart sheds

7. Poplar Farm
Early C19 farmhouse with C20 alterations. Limestone rubble with ashlar quoins, hipped slate roof, two yellow brick chimney stacks. C20 windows.

8. Walnut Farmhouse, barn and Stables
Stable block links barn to house. They are late C17 with early C19 alterations. Limestone rubble with pantile roofs. House is limewashed, with brick coped gables, two brick gable and one ridge chimney stacks, sliding sash windows. Stable has C17 roof timbers and mangers, hayracks and halter pegs. Barn is C18. Listed Building.

9. Washhouse at Walnut Farm
Early C19 single storey washhouse and coal store. Limestone rubble gable ends and yellow brick. Listed Building.

10. 4 and 6 Chapel Lane
Pair of late C19 cottages, stone with pantile roofs, modern window.

11. Workshop and Store, Chapel Lane
Former Methodist Chapel of 1863. Yellow brick with hipped pantile roof. Centrally hinged windows with glazing bars dividing them into 12 main lights with 18 surrounding subsidiary lights.

12. 23—33 Chapel Lane
Terraced row of six cottages, late C19. Yellow brick, pantiled roofs, four ridge and one gable, brick chimney stacks. A variety of C20 windows, all bar one fitted into the original apertures. Attractive iron railings and gates along the front

13. 7 to 21 Chapel Lane
Terraced row of seven cottages, early C19. Limestone walls, pantiled roofs with six ridge and one gable, yellow brick, chimney stacks. A variety of window styles in original apertures.

14. 2 and 6 Cross Street
Two cottages, formerly three, late C19. Yellow brick and pantile, both with recent extensions. Sliding sash windows.

15. 7 The Green
Yellow brick and slate. c19 remodelling of an earlier house. Horizontal sliding sash windows.

16. 9 East Lane
House dated 1884. Red brick with brown brick bands and slate roof. Sash windows. Decorated ridge tiles, remarkable finials at gable ends, and fretworked bargeboards.

17. The Barn
Former house and barn. 2—storey. Converted into four flats 1979. Limestone rubble with red brick
quoins, pantile roof.

18. 15 The Green
Late C19, former farmhouse, red brick front, limestone gables and rear. Central red brick chimney stack on pantiled roof. Sash windows. Refurbished 1979.

19. 16 The Green
Red brick and pantile, late C19 house, bay windows to ground floor, sashes to first floor.

20. Beck House, Barn and Stable Range
Beck House, C16 with minor C19 and C20 alterations. Limestone rubble with steeply pitched pantile roof. Casement windows. Early C18 barn and C18 stables, both limestone, the former with brick dressings, pantiled roofs. Listed Buildings.

21. 3 and 4 The Green
Pair of yellow brick fronted stone cottages, pantile roof, horizontal sliding windows.

22. 2 The Green
Late C18 house. Limestone rubble, pantile roof, two red brick chimney stacks, C20 casement windows. Listed Building.

23. The Plough Inn
Public House. Late C17 with C18 alterations. Limestone rubble, pantile roof with one yellow brick chimney stack. Mixture of sash ·and casement windows. Listed Building.

24. 22 The Green
Formerly Church Institute, built late C19, converted into offices in 1974. Red brick and pantile with mock half timbered, cream painted first floor elevation to Green. C20 windows.

25. 1 Church Street
Former house, converted into offices 1979. Late C17 with C18 and C19 alterations. Painted limestone rubble, concrete tiled roof, two brick gable chimney stacks. Sash windows. Listed Building.

26. 11 Church Street
House, formerly two houses. Late C18 with C19 and C20 alterations. Limestone rubble with brick dressing, pantile roof, sash windows. Listed Building.

27. 10 Church Street
Early C19 house with C20 alterations. Painted limestone rubble, pantile roof, two brick chimney stacks. C20 sash windows. Listed Building.

28. All Saints Church
Parish Church. Early and mid C13, C14, C15, C16, C18, restored 1889. Limestone rubble with lead roofs. Tower, nave, two aisles, porch, chancel and vestry. Listed Building.

29. Gravestone
Limestone gravestone, 1732, inscribed "Tho Gardiner Post Boy of Lincoln Barbourously Murdered by Issac Tho Hallday Jan 3 1732 Aged
19". Listed Building.

30. Stone Coffin
Stone coffin. C15. Listed Building.

31. Old School and School House
Former school, now used for community purposes, and school house. Dated 1856. Limestone rubble, slate roofs. Listed Building.

32. The Old Vicarage, Vicarage Lane
Former vicarage. Yellow brick with slate roof, sash windows. Late C19.

33. 5 Beckside
Late C18 cottage, formerly a pair with minor C20 alterations. Limestone rubble, pantiled roof with two brick gable chimney stacks. Sliding sash windows. Listed Building.

34. 21 and 22 Beckside
Pair of cottages, formerly four, late C19 with C20 alterations. Limestone walls, pantile roof, modern casement windows. Important roofscape.

35. 1,2,3,4 The Rookery
Row of four late C19 cottages, limestone walls, pantile roof. No 1 has sash windows, 2, 3 and 4 modern casements. Important roofscape.

36. 5 The Rookery
Late C19 stone house with pantiled roof. Modern casement windows, important roofscape.

37. Watermill House
Formerly house and Watermill, recently extensively rebuilt to form one house. Limestone walls, pantile roof, modern casement windows.

38. White Hart Inn
Former Court House, now public house, built about 1730 with C20 alterations. Red brick with stone dressings, pantiled roof with two brick gable chimney stacks. Listed Building.

39. 12 High Street
Yellow brick, cream painted western elevation, and pantiled cottage, part used as a bank. Sash windows, iron railings to road.

40. 10 High Street
House, limestone walls, pantiled roof, sliding sash windows.

41. Deans Barn, High Street
Storage building, dating from C17. Limestone, pantile roof, one horizontal sliding sash window to first floor, shuttered window on ground floor.

42. 19 High Street
Late C17 house with minor C19 and C20 alterations. Limestone walls, pantiled roof with dormer window and three chimney stacks. Single storey with attics. Horizontal sliding sash windows. Listed Building.

43. 27 High Street
Late C17 house with minor C18 and C20 alterations. Limestone rubble, pantiled roof with three chimney stacks. Sash windows. Listed Building.

44. Wesleyan Chapel
Methodist Chapel built 1899. Red brick with stone dressings.

45. 44 High Street
House, built 1980, half hipped pantile roof, stone walls, modern casement windows.

46. Ash Tree Farm
Barn, wagon hovel and pigeoncote, late C18 with C20 alterations. Limestone walls with brick dressings and pantile roof. Listed Building.

47. Ash Tree Farmhouse
Late C18 farmhouse with C19 and C20 alterations. Limestone walls with concrete tile and pantile hipped roof with three chimney stacks. Sash windows. Listed Building.