Around the Village

Saxilby is a large village of around 4000 people in the West Lindsey district of Lincolnshire, England, about six miles north-west of Lincoln, on the A57 road at the junction of the B1241. It is part of the parish of Saxilby and Ingleby.

The village lies on the north bank of the Fossdyke Navigation which was built by the Romans and there are remains of a Roman camp just outside the village. The name is of Viking origin, Saksulfr+by, or "farmstead of a man called Saksulfr" and it appears as "Saxebi" in the Domesday Book (1086). It has a 12th century church (Saint Botolph's) and buildings from the 15th (Saxilby Old Hall) and 16th (manor house) centuries.

The village has expanded greatly in recent years with a number of new housing developments built around the edge of the older parts of the village. The village has many facilities and amenities including shops, hairdressers, a primary school, community halls, doctors surgeries, a library and two churches to name a few.

Saxilby railway station, on the Doncaster to Lincoln Line is located close to the centre of the village. Lincoln city centre is only 7 miles from the village, and there are regular bus services through the village to Lincoln, Gainsborough and Scunthorpe.